Some students told not to return to campus

We now have more information about the return to campus, while many students being told not to do so at all

Today we have learnt more about the plans for a return, or not, to campus. Richard Taylor, the Uni COO, has said that “we [the University] now need to review our arrangements for the start of term on 11th January, especially in relation to any planned in-person delivery”.

But what does this mean in practice? In response to questions from this paper, Taylor went on to say that “the government is clearly discouraging those who do not have to or need to return [to campus], from returning at this point.”

However, there is no ban on returning to campus as it stands. Some course may still be able to go ahead with some in-person sessions, however, this will depend on government advice that will be published in the coming days, and is expected to be very limited.

These restrictions are “not dependent on the Tiers” and “most Lboro in person teaching resumes the start of semester 2”, Taylor confirmed.

Many students will be wondering what to do and whether to book a test for their return to campus in the next couple of weeks. The advice, as it stands, is that this should be avoided if possible, but that accommodation and Uni facilities, such as the library, will be open from the 2nd January.

In respect to those students that do decide to return to campus, they are being very strongly encouraged to get a test (more info on this here). If the test is positive then the University will “find alternative temporary accommodation for the expected small number who test positive.”

This is a developing story, and we will update you as and when we hear anything more. VC Bob will be providing all students and staff with more information early next week.