Trains from Loughborough cancelled yesterday after person hit by train

‘It all happened so fast’

Trains were unable to run between Loughborough and Leicester yesterday after a person was hit by a train. 

The line was closed after the person was hit by a train at 2:15pm at Loughborough station. A spokesman for Network Rail said: “It is being treated as non-suspicious in that we believe a person has put themselves in front of a train.”

The incident disrupted trains on the London St Pancras/Nottingham/Sheffield route and Leicester/Nottingham/Lincoln routes.

Kenneth, a second year Media Culture and Society student, was at the station when the incident occurred and spoke directly to The Tab. He said: “I was just outside waiting to get my ticket and was looking at my phone and the next thing I know, there’s a train passing by and a massive bang. I heard someone in front of me say “I’m scarred. I can’t believe I just saw that happen”. He was shaking.

“People started to quickly and calmly evacuate the station and I heard a girl get weak and just fall back after seeing what happened. It all happened so fast. I briefly looked at the tracks and saw that it had bits of blood in places on the rails.”

Trains were delayed for the rest of the day, and continue to run as normal this morning.