London student died after ‘very serious reaction’ to cannabis gummy, inquest hears

Damilola Grace Olakanmi died from a cardiac arrest and brain damage in March 2022

The death of a 23-year-old London student was found to be from “very serious reaction” to a synthetic cannabis gummy, an inquest heard.

Damilola Grace Olakanmi was rushed to hospital after digesting a cannabis gummy on March 29th 2022, but died just days later

She suffered cardiac arrests and brain damage caused by synthetic cannabinoid toxicity, DailyMail reports

The inquest heard how Grace was with a friend from the US when she messaged a dealer asking for “two packs of 600mg gummies for tonight please” before asking “And are they really strong?”. The dealer responded yes to both questions.

In a statement to the police, her mother explained how she found her daughter: “I went upstairs to Grace’s room and I saw her on the floor. She didn’t appear to be breathing”. 

Grace, from Ilford and a law student at Hertfordshire University, had consumed the gummy alongside her friend, whose behaviour had become unusual. Her mother found her rolling around on the floor next to Grace in a hysterical state. The friend was also taken to hospital but later discharged.

The coroner, Dr Shirley Radcliff told the inquest “This is the utterly tragic case of a 23-year-old girl consuming synthetic cannabis and having a very serious reaction.

“She died as a result of 1A synthetic cannabis toxicity. On March 29, 2022, Grace consumed cannabinoid gummies at her home address in Ilford. She collapsed, was taken to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, where she sadly died on April 3rd. My conclusion is that the death is due to drug misuse. I convey my deepest condolences to the family.”

37-year-old Leon Brown was arrested in connection with the incident on April 1st 2022 and charged with possession with intent to supply a Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.

In a warning against the use of these products, Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell said: “Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.

“The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring Trrlli Peachie O’s branding. It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured.”

Related articles recommended by this author:

• London student may have died from long term implications of laughing gas, inquest hears

• SOAS and Met Police criticised over search for missing student as body pulled from Thames

• ‘Bright, brilliant and brave’ LSE student killed in bike collision with rubbish lorry

Featured image via FaceBook