UCL vs KCL football Varsity postponed due to coronavirus fears

Men’s and women’s football varsity both postponed

The football Varsity games between UCL and King’s which were due to take place this evening have been cancelled due to the escalating risks surrounding coronavirus.

In an Instagram story, the Student’s Union stated that the men’s and women’s football games against King’s had been postponed due to the Coronavirus epidemic. They said that “this decision does not change UCL’s current position or guidance. UCL will be circulating further general information today.”

On Facebook, the Men’s Football society has stated that: “It is with great misfortune that tonight’s Varsity games are being postponed – there will be no football Varsity, neither the mens or the women’s game.

“Due to the escalating risks related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and in liaison with UCL, SU have taken the decision to postpone the Football Varsity as well as the Varsity Afterparty due to take place this tonight. Refunds will be issued to those who have purchased tickets.”

Both women’s and men’s football Instagrams have reposted the information made available on the Student’s Union Instagram page, and are encouraging people to circulate the information to all ticket holders.

This comes as the Student Union announced that we had officially won Varsity 2020, with the winning game being RUMS Netball. Last night the Union were still promoting the Football Varsity event, and stating that the Trophy Lift would be at the game, and until midday it was still being promoted by the respective Football societies.

The official after-party for Varsity at Steel Yard has also been cancelled.

The postponement comes at the same time UCL has advised “staff and students not travel internationally on UCL business (ie conferences, field trips) until 1 May 2020. The university remains open and UCL recommends that students, staff and visitors attend their scheduled activities as normal. However, UCL will not penalise any students who choose not to attend timetabled teaching.”

All new advice is available on UCL’s Coronavirus FAQ page.