Image may contain: Parthenon, Shrine, Worship, Column, Pillar, Downtown, Temple, Town, City, Urban, Human, Person, Building, Architecture

Phineas, Mully’s and The Huntley closed due to gas leak

A number of UCL’s Bloomsbury campus buildings have been evacuated

UCL has announced that several buildings on Gower Place have been closed following the advice of gas distribution network Cadent, with the aim of identifying the source of a gas leak.

As a safety precaution UCL has closed and evacuated a number of its buildings, including the Kathleen Lonsdale Building, the Physics Building, the Slade, 3 Gower Place, the Pearson Building as well as 25 Gordon Street (home to Phineas) and the Lewis Building (Mully's and the Huntley).

The closure of the Lewis Building will be a particular blow to those who usually attend karaoke in Mully's on a Saturday night.

These buildings are all set to remain closed over the weekend, and disruption could continue into the week as the source of the leak is identified and the proper repairs are carried out.

Students and staff will be unable to access any of these areas, and security personnel are in place to esure the safety precautions are maintained.

A UCL spokesperson said: “Due to a gas leak, UCL has been advised by gas distribution network Cadent to close a number of buildings on our Bloomsbury estate as a safety precaution. We are currently doing everything we can to minimise any disruption caused while maintenance works are underway.”

Updates and more information directly from UCL can be found by clicking here .