IT’S BACK! Varsity Returns For 2014

After a year away, UCL’s most anticipated sporting event, the annual Rugby match against KCL, is back! According to a statement on UCLU’s website posted this afternoon, the Union is “getting […]

After a year away, UCL’s most anticipated sporting event, the annual Rugby match against KCL, is back!

According to a statement on UCLU’s website posted this afternoon, the Union is “getting ready to welcome back Varsity.”

The event was cancelled last year after a string of incidents at the 2012 match resulted in venue Twickenham Stoop refusing to host the game. Safety concerns were raised due to crowd violence and King’s mascot being chucked out of the ground.

The announcement left a rivalry shaped hole in the lives of many students, especially first years who had never experienced the tournament before.

The post starts by saying that UCLU were “just as disappointed as many of you that we couldn’t bring you a Varsity event in 2013,” and goes on to reveal how they plan to make the event “bigger than ever before.”

The organisers are now planning to expand the games into a week long series of events with different sports. Are we in for the first ever Varsity Olympics?

UCLU are encouraging teams to enter via their website at uclu.org/varsity