From the Library to The Loop

Emily Harrison and Jessica Rusby share some ideas on looks to get you through the day to the night.

| UPDATED Fashion London Tab Fashion Loop Bar outfit UCL Library

It’s the second term and the workload is already piling up. We might all be living in the library, but that doesn’t mean we can’t go out every once in a while. We’ve selected a few key pieces from our favourite high street retailers at student friendly prices. These pieces, inspired by the students of UCL, are perfect to take you straight from the library to the Loop without going home.

Backpack: River Island, £32

This tribal print backpack is the ideal size for carrying work and folders, but small and sexy enough to stop you looking like an Inbetweeners extra when you’re in tha club.

Shoes: Topshop ‘Anchor’ cut-out boots, £75

Cut-out boots are set to be the new thing for Spring 2013, and Topshop are ahead of the trend. There’s a great selection to choose from but we have gone for the dark burgundy-maroon leather ‘anchor’ boots with a mid heel – casual enough for day wear at university and swanky enough for a night in town. Alternatively, if you’re undecided on the colour, go for a muted tone. The black leather boot will always be a classic and this lower heel is the perfect compromise for those who want to keep their shoes on until the end of the night.

Embrace the school spirit and paint your nails in our very own UCL colours – purple and blue. A set of manicured hands can instantly transform your look and get you ready for a twist and a shake on the dancefloor.

Leggings: New Look ‘Bam Bam’ Leggings, £34.99

The cosmic print on these leggings is enough to upgrade a casual day look right into the night, and with student discount online, they really are out of this world… For those who feel no shame in splashing out their student loan on clothes, there is always the classic ‘disco pants’ from American Apparel at a stretch of £70 – perfect for The Loop’s Groovy Wonderland of 70s and 80s disco.

Coat: Urban Outfitters Sparkle & Face Oversized Fur Collar Coat, £40

It may be bulkier than your standard ‘night out leather jacket’ – we all have one – but for these cold wintery days and nights, something warmer is required. This Urban Outfitters oversized coat is of an ideal colour to avoid clashing with the rest of your outfit, and the fur collar will keep you extra cosy. It’s the perfect coat for the journey from the quad to the queue outside The Loop.

Necklaces: (left) Topshop, £10, and (right) Gogo Philip from Asos, £12

Accessories can make an evening outfit. Whether you prefer gold or silver, stick to one colour, and less is usually more. We don’t go anywhere without a watch and rings, but a bold statement necklace is perfect for adding that x-factor to a night out look.

Dress: Asos, £30

Midi dresses are an ideal way to translate a day look into a night look. For a day outfit, throw on an oversized knitted sweater. For the night, add some statement jewellery. The length of the midi dress keeps you slightly warmer in the cold London climate, but the bodycon fit and sheer detail creates an interesting, sophisticated evening look – suitable party attire indeed!