These 5 businesses in Lincoln have had to permanently close due to the Covid-19 pandemic

Bierkeller Lincoln being closed just hits different

The coronavirus pandemic is one we all can’t wait to forget. With 9.3 million people in the United Kingdom being vaccinated, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. However, several Lincoln businesses were hit the hardest during the three lockdowns and endless tier coronavirus restrictions, which led to many businesses having to close their doors permanently.

Lincoln Drill Hall

Lincoln’s Drill Hall has been forced to close due to funding cuts. The drill hall has been in Lincoln since 1890 and is located on Broadgate, and runs through to Free School Lane.

In a statement from Lincoln Art Trust Trustees, they said: “Due to the impact of the Covid-19 Pandemic on Lincoln Drill Hall’s activities since March and the ongoing funding challenges being faced by us, Lincoln Arts Trust Limited has had to take the regrettable decision to cease the operation of activities carried on at Lincoln Drill Hall.

“Additionally, we have reluctantly had to undertake consultations with the staff team running Lincoln Drill Hall on redundancies, due to the end of the Coronavirus Job Retention Programme in its current form. The entire current staff team has had redundancy confirmed as at the 31 October 2020.

“Lincoln Arts Trust is now working hard with partners to secure the future of grants which it currently receives. In order to protect the future of the site which is held under a charitable trust, we are continuing to hold conversations with other organisations who have expressed an interest in the future of the venue.”

The arts venue offered a range of events including music, theatre, dance, circus, comedy, cabaret, film, talks, family events, and festivals.

Bierkeller Lincoln

When Bierkeller Lincoln announced their closure, we all shed a tear and reminisced on all the good memories we shared in Keller. They were known for their steins and playing classics like Mr Brightside, Sweet Caroline, and ABBA. However, due to the pandemic, they were forced to shut and generating no income. Soon after, the Lincolnshire Co-op did not renew their lease. The owner hopes to find a new home for Keller in Lincoln.

In a social media statement, they said: “We are very sad to announce that the Original Bierkeller in Lincoln has closed and will not reopen, we are seeking a new home.

“This was a decision forced on us by our landlord the Lincolnshire Co op; who, after 12 months of negotiations for a new lease and resulting in us spending over £35k in preparations (money we could ill afford as we have been closed since March due to government covid restrictions), decided at the last minute that they didn’t want to complete the new lease after all.

“As a result, we had only 3 working days to close down, make remaining staff redundant and remove our fixtures and fittings to store. The Original Bierkeller has been a successful and well loved part of the nighttime economy in the city and we are devastated by the closure and its impact on the team and our customers who we would like to thank for all of their love and support.”

“We are currently looking for a new home and we will update you as soon as we have news.”

The West End Tap

A local pub on Newland Street has been forced to close after the implications of the pandemic had on their business.

In a post on Instagram, they said: “Guys, I’m afraid it’s the news that we never wanted to have to announce. Unfortunately, after this lockdown the West End Tap will not be opening again, under our management anyway. It’s been a tough year for all of us so gonna try not to dwell on the negative.

“Much love, thanks and endless respect for everyone involved in making the pub what it was over the last year or 2, sincerely hope to see you all in the near future for a pint in another one of the many great pubs Lincoln has to offer!”

Debenhams and Laura Ashley

These national brands have had to permanently close their stores across the United Kingdom as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The clothing giants both have stores in the city of Lincoln. Laura Ashley sold clothes, curtains, bed sets, and other home items and the brand is 67 years old and had to close 70 stores permanently.

Debenhams was forced to close after 243 years on Britain’s high streets, as they were into administration in August 2020. In January, Boohoo bought Debenhams, but there has been no news to reopen the in-person stores.