Leeds bakery banned from using ‘illegal sprinkles’ by Trading Standards

‘Sprinkles you can get in this country are totally sh*t. They look w*nk, they bake w*nk.’

A Leeds Bakery has made national headlines after going viral on Facebook when a customer reported them to Trading Standards for using ‘illegal sprinkles’.

Dubbed ‘#Sprinklegate’, Rich Myers, the owner of Get Baked, said that alternative sprinkles on the market were “rubbish”, describing the decision as “ridiculous”.

The bakery said they will have to remove the tasty topping from their recipes

The illegal sprinkles are used in various products | via Get Baked

The bakery has had to withdraw its raspberry glazed donut cookies, which contained a banned food colouring.

The E127 Food Colouring, known as Erythorisine is only approved for use in the UK and EU in cocktail and candied cherries, making the sprinkles illegal.

Mr Myers told BBC News: “I know it sounds like a small thing but it is a big deal for my business – we used them a lot.

“Our best-selling cooking, we’re not going to be able to sell them any more. For a small independent business that only has a small menu, it’s a problem.”

Get Baked posted on their Facebook that “the sprinkles are imported from USA and may contain colourings that aren’t allowed over here.

“Unfortunately, I am only prepared to use them and no others. If I can’t use them, I won’t use any. I will be on sprinkle strike and won’t budge for no man.

“Sprinkles you can get in this country are totally shit. They look wank, they bake wank.”

Due to the dire situation, Rich told customers that he “has to live with the fact that daddy can’t take her [his daughter] to Disneyland, because man can’t sell any fucking cookies.”

The bakery are now faced with unprecedented demand, and a new “online ordering platform” went live yesterday (Wednesday, October 13th), and delivery costs just £1.

However, they have set Leeds General Infirmary and St James’s University Hospital as a separate delivery zone, so anyone at the hospital gets free delivery.

No photo description available.

A sign outside the bakery in Leeds. Dan proceeded to message them saying: “Wtf. Fuck you. I may unfollow you for this bullshit.”

Rich seems to be loving the press, having spoke to Jeremy Vine and BBC Radio 5 Live to discuss #Sprinklegate.

He’s “not letting the fame get to my head, but I’ve employed a PA and she’s gone to get me a cappuccino, extra hot, no chocolate.”

Want to write for us? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTab_Leeds on Instagram or The Tab Leeds on Facebook.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

The University of Leeds now has its very own set of custom trainers

An exclusive interview with the LeedsFess admins

Watch out Leeds, Squid Game is coming to Hyde Park