No platforming is damaging the LGBT+ movement

I was banned for criticising Fran Cowling

GAY leeds uni leeds university lgbt lgbtq no platform nus

It’s been several days now since Motion 408 hit the headlines, with the NUS LGBT+ conference passing a motion accusing “cis gay men” of “misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia”.

The motion was passed with the conference making a recommendation to “encourage LGBT+ societies that have a gay men’s rep to drop the position”. Despite the media frenzy about the motion, Fran Cowling, NUS LGBT+ Officer, has yet to make a statement about the issue.

Cowling was drawn into the public eye earlier this year when she refused to share a stage with Peter Tatchell at Canterbury Christ Church University in February. Fran branded the veteran campaigner, soon to celebrate 50 years of campaigning, a racist and transphobic.

As a member of the LGBT+ Society at Leeds University, I published a blog to the Facebook group entitled ‘Where is Fran Cowling Now?’ asking why the outspoken NUS Officer hadn’t made any comment following the media frenzy.

Allegations of a ‘personal attack’

The blog was met with accusations of a “personal attack” against Fran Cowling, despite holding a democratically elected office open to criticism. One member of the Leeds University LGBT+ Society said: “Isn’t it in the safe space rules for the FB group that we can’t personally attack someone? Who’s on committee now and can sort this?”

Following the post, the committee made a statement saying: “Safe space policy does not allow direct attacks on any specific person, so Liam Kelly can you please remove your comment about Fran otherwise it will be deleted by me at noon.”

The post was removed by the committee in violation of the “safe space” policy which befittingly shares the name of Motion 408: Defending Safe(r) spaces and No Platforming.

In response to Motion 408 a change.org petition has been started asking the NUS to stop encouraging the abandonment of Gay Men’s Reps in LGBT+ Societies. The petition has been signed by a number of high-profile LGBT+ figures including Peter Tatchell, Matthew Ogston – number six on The Independent’s Pink List for 2015 along with Jonathan Harper, President at Chester University Student’s Union.

A spokesperson for Nicky Morgan MP, Education, Equalities and Women’s Minister, said: “While this particular issue is something for the NUS, there are of course specific issues which affect gay men particularly and Nicky is clear it’s key they feel they have someone they could turn to for support on campus.”

The conversation about Motion 408 is far from over but with members of the LGBT+ community being ‘no platformed’ by their own societies in what form that conversation will take only time will tell.