Bored of going to the same places? Here are the best hidden gems in Glasgow

Take a look at some of Glasgow’s hidden treasures to explore with your friends

Want to check out Glasgow but struggling to find cool spots? No worries! This article has the inside scoop on some awesome hidden gems in Glasgow.

These places are perfect for a chill day with your pals, a sweet date, or just when you’re feeling a bit bored and want to shake things up. Get ready for an adventure through the lesser-known side of Glasgow that’ll add some extra fun to your city experience.

Purrple Cat Cafe (2 Trongate)

As the name suggests, this lovely cafe hidden on the corner of Trongate Street offers you an experience combined with coffee and cute cats to keep you company. The 36 cats that live there have all been rescued from various shelters and come in all ages, colours and sizes. Not only that, but you can buy delicious treats for yourself or for the cats that support the cafe. What is really good about this cafe is that it respects the cats and their surroundings. That includes rules on how to treat the cats or having human-free zones for the cats to rest.

To visit the cafe you will need to prebook on their website and pay a fee of £10, which also goes to supporting the cats and the cafe. I definitely recommend a visit to all the animal lovers out there.

R-Cade (121 Saltmarket)

If you are looking for a cafe with both tasty treats and fun games, look no further. Right by Glasgow Green you can find a cafe that offers you both board and video games to enjoy with your coffee. For only £7.50 you can play all the video games from four decades, such as Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo and Atari.

If video games are not your thing, don’t worry; you can also enjoy the cafe’s many free and exotic board games. If you want to have more adult fun, they offer different 18+ themes where you can bring your own alcohol.

Kokohouse (175 Great George St)

Looking for a good pancake place? then this is the place to go. Hidden in the corner not far from Hillhead subway station is this small and cosy pancake place that serves some of the fluffiest Japanese souffle pancakes and other heavenly treats. Who knew Crembrule and matcha could taste so good on a pancake.

They also have other delicious sweet treats such as bubble tea, smoothies, milkshakes and cakes. If you are more on the savoury side, they serve some delicious homemade breakfast and lunch dishes such as crepes, soups and baguettes.

Ottoman Coffeehouse (73 Berkeley St.) 

New tastes, fancy coffee, delicious food and an exotic atmosphere, are what you can find at this coffee shop and restaurant. Centred in the heart of The West End, their goal is to “have something to offer people of any age or background in this diverse and vibrant local community coffeehouse.” This place is perfect for coffee enthusiasts who are looking for a new coffee experience.

If you are not into coffee, they have several other delicious and various options to satisfy. And if you also are hungry, their delicious dishes will fill you right up. Although it is a little more on the pricey side, it is a cafe that puts its heart into what it makes and is worth trying.

Ashton Lane

In an alley near Hillhead subway station lays a cosy ally filled with fun pubs, delicious restaurants and a cosy ambience. With over ten different pubs and restaurants, this place is lovely for a fun night out or for a lovely dinner out. Not only that, but they also have several events during the festive seasons, such as a Christmas market.

Not only that, they also have the local Grosvenor Cinema to catch up with the latest movies. So, if you are looking for a place to have a good time with friends and family, this is the place.

Pollok Country Park (2060 Pollokshaws Rd)

Looking for something to do in nature involving cute highland cows? Then Pollok Country Park is the place to see. Being Glasgow’s biggest park, it offers beautiful scenery and historical monuments such as the ancestral home of the Maxwell family and the Burell collection museum. Not only that, but the park houses several adorable Scottish Highland cows that you can pass by and, hopefully, pet.

Although it is on the south side of Glasgow, there is still easy access to busses and trains that go to the park. This place has a lovely combination of nature, history culture and fun and is the perfect destination for a day trip.

Hidden Lane Tea Room (1103 Argyle St, Finnieston)

Hidden away between two wooden houses on Argyle Street lies a lovely little tea room on “Hidden Lane”. Although it is small, the cosy interior, homemade food and drinks make up for it. When booking a table in the tea room you can find a variety of hot and cold drinks, breakfast and lunch foods at a reasonable price. They also serve classical afternoon tea with some of their best homemade treats.

They can also provide you with vegetarian, vegan and gluten free food if informed a day in advance. So come by and try this cosy tea room if you want to try something local with a hint of culture in it.

The Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum (518 Sauchiehall St)

In between the clubs and street food places on Sauchehall Street, lays a small museum containing a big piece of Scottish history. The museum contains the history of the Scottish highland army and their battles, accomplishments and artefacts used during these battles. That and more can be found in the museum filled with authentic props dating back to the 1700’s.

The museum is free for everyone, and with the help of the lovely staff, you can get more insight into the hidden history that the museum helps you uncover. So if you are ever interested in learning something new about Scottish culture and history, this is the place to go.

Related stories recommended by this author:

• Nine things to see and do in Glasgow that can’t be missed this Christmas

• The attainment gap is widening in Scottish universities, how is Glasgow Uni tackling this?

• A day in the life of a full-time Glasgow student balancing studies, working, and FOMO