Glasgow Caledonian student set to work with Lewis Hamilton in prestigious grad scheme

TJ Scott will be working with Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 team upon graduating

A Glasgow Caledonian University student has secured a graduate job in the Mercedes F1 team.

TJ Scott, a mechanical engineering student, is set to start his role with the racing giants in September 2024. The job arose after the student impressed at the Formula Student Competition last summer, Glasgow Times reports.

He was one of only four students to be approached for the positions, out of the hundreds who applied across the globe. His skillset caught the eyes of renowned engineers such as Rishi Chavada and Alex Coignac Smith. Formula Student is a European educational engineering competition which is run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. The competition celebrated its 25th birthday this year.

via Glasgow Caledonian University

Speaking to Glasgow Live, TJ commented: “I’ve been fortunate to be offered this amazing graduate position after I was invited to interview based on my performance during the design-judging stage of the Formula Student competition. The judges themselves are sent by their respective employers to scope out potential graduate recruits. In my case, I impressed a representative from Mercedes with my justification and defence of the engineering method behind our car’s powertrain.

“I will now be taking a graduate position within the Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains team, where I will be rotated between four departments, all of which are working on the design of the Mercedes Formula One powertrain. Ideally this will be the first step in a long career at the top level of motorsport, competing against some of the best engineers in the world.”

”I have been interested in cars for as long as I can remember, assisting with my dad’s car restoration business and its later expansion to race preparation and setup. In my free time, I am often tinkering with my own projects, or on the racetrack myself at both open-track days and amateur hill-climb events.”

Furthermore, GCU Racing competed in their Formula Student debut at Silverstone earlier this year. The team,  made up of 15 highly skilled Glasgow Caledonian students and staff, successfully manufactured a racing vehicle at their university workshop which then went on to compete against many other universities at Silverstone.

Picture obtained from Facebook.