Glasgow moves into level 4 lockdown on Friday

The new restrictions will last three weeks

Glasgow will move into level 4 lockdown on Friday at 6pm. This is the highest level of the five tier system that was  initially implemented. Glasgow is anticipated to move out of level 4 on the 11th of December.

Nicola Sturgeon announced that Covid numbers are still high, and action was needed to bring them down before the winter period. Recent figures show that in the last 24 hours there have been 37 Covid-19 related deaths in Scotland.

The new restrictions means that all  non-essential shops will close, as well as pubs, restaurants and cafes, although takeaway from these businesses will still be allowed. It also means gyms, hairdressers, beauticians and indoor visit attractions will close. Schools will remain open, but shielding children will not be allowed to attend.

The travel guidance will now be the law, meaning that it is illegal for people living in level 3 or 4 level areas to travel outside them, except for essential purposes, and there is to be  no non- essential travel between Scotland and any other parts of the UK.

Other areas that have been moved into level 4 include  Renfrewshire, East Renfrewshire, East Dunbartonshire, West Dunbartonshire, North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire.