Sub Club supporters donate £90k to stop nightclub at risk from permanent closure

The future of our favourite Glasgow nightclub is at risk

Yesterday one of Glasgow’s most popular nightclubs, Sub Club, announced that they are risk of permanent closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Since being forced to close in March, club bosses set up a crowd fundraising page with an aim to raise £90,000 to keep the business going. According to Glasgow Live, ‘All members of staff have now been placed on unpaid leave with bosses left to find a way to recover the costs.’

View this post on Instagram

The @subclub87 is at risk of permanent closure. Help #SaveOurSub and keep music & dancing alive – #FeelTheFuture! Donate & Purchase rewards over on our @crowdfunderuk page! Link in bio 👆👆👆 Today, we are saying something we never thought we would have to say again – the Sub Club is in danger of sinking! We have faced many different trials and tribulations over the last 33 years, ranging from the infamous licensing curfew of the early 90’s, lengthy legal battles about planning permission for a hotel development next to the club to the club’s closure from 1999-2002 following a building fire, all of which has meant that the Sub Club has been very much a labour of love for more than 3 decades. However, none of these situations hold a candle to the existential threat that the COVID-19 pandemic currently poses to the Sub Club, and indeed to Club Culture as a whole around the globe. As lockdown is lifted it is abundantly clear that underground basement clubs will be amongst the very last things to reopen. We were the first spaces closed and we will be the last to open. The level of UK Government support & the denial of our Job Retention Scheme has fallen woefully short of what is required to protect the future of the Sub Club & the furlough status of all 31 staff moving forward has been invalidated meaning we have had to place ALL our staff on unpaid leave. Despite multiple appeals and representations to the Government by our MP we still find ourselves in this perilous situation! We are very aware that many people are experiencing real financial difficulty, and for some the threat to their health and wellbeing is profound. We have had to think long and hard before reaching out to ask for your help. Nevertheless, if we want to Save Our Sub we find ourselves in a situation where we have to ask for your support. #SaveOurSub #SubClubSOS #FeelTheFuture

A post shared by Sub Club (@subclub87) on

The much-loved clubbing area received an overwhelming response and they reached their target in just six hours. The target has now been stretched to £150,000 in order for the Sub Club to survive week-to-week.

View this post on Instagram

WOW! We are absolutely blown away by the response to our Crowdfunder campaign having smashed through our initial £90k target in less than 6 hours! ⠀ ⠀ Suffice to say reaching this target in such a short space of time massively exceeded our initial expectations, so we need a little time to come back to you all with more details on the next stages of the campaign. We are a very small team who have been working absolutely flat out for weeks to get to this stage.⠀ ⠀ Hitting our next stretch target of £150k will allow us to achieve much more than simply keeping the lights on until December and will genuinely give us the opportunity to secure the future of the club once we get beyond the COVID-19 crisis.⠀ ⠀ It’s also worthwhile reiterating that we are in an evolving situation where we don’t know for sure when we are likely to reopen. It is very possible that we may not infact be able to open before 2021.⠀ ⠀ This fundraiser will also allow us to properly resource our Sub Hub initiative which is a long held ambition for the club and to kick start our new Dazzlefund with a substantial investment.⠀ ⠀ We are committed to transparency over the use of these funds and every penny will be used to keep the Sub Club alive and to improve our operation wherever we can when we are eventually able to re-open.⠀ ⠀ We will never lose sight of the tragedy and personal impact this virus has had on peoples lives around the world and in particular the disproportionate effect on the poor and on marginalised communities which is startling and shocking. We are also committed to making sure that we do everything we can to be completely inclusive and to reinforce and embed anti-discriminatory policies into our good practice guidelines within the business. ⠀ ⠀ Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to all those who are supporting us in any way, be it donating or helping spread the #SaveOurSub message so we can now begin to #FeelTheFuture.⠀ ⠀ All the Love in the world from Team Subbie xxx

Award-winning Scottish DJ, Calvin Harris, donated £20k in order to save the nightclub.

Founded in 1987, Sub Club has aided the growth of artists such as Dennis Sulta and Jackmaster. It has been frequented and praised in the media by huge Scottish names including Irvine Welsh, author of Trainspotting.

Image Credit: (Picture: Sub Club/crowdfunder) 

To support Sub Club’s fundraiser, visit here:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/saveoursub