Review: Beats and Bass Presents Artwork

Beats & Bass’ decision to move further underground to the depths of Cellar Door has made Tuesday nights in Exeter a permanent date in our social diary, reports Maya Mills.

Beats & Bass cellar door Eats Everything Exeter exeter phoenix the tab the tab exeter

For those of you up-to-date on all things Cellar Door, you will know that a Tuesday night this year is being shared between our old friends Thick As Thieves and – drum roll, please – Beats & Bass.

Yes, the renowned society has moved camps from Gandy Street and ventured down-town to quayside, relocating their bassy sets to the underground acoustics of Cellar Door – and cor blimey does it work something marvellous.

For their opening night, Beats and Bass decided to put on a night to impress, headlining Artwork. Already being a huge fan of the Beats & Bass resident DJs, The Tab went down to check it out with very high expectation, which were more than fulfilled.

All in all, Artwork pulled a very interesting set out of the bag: the mixing and music was quick and varied to keep people on their toes and out of the smoking area.

Despite The Cavern being a great venue for many different types of music events with a similar capacity, Beats & Bass’ decision to move further underground to the depths of Cellar Door has made Tuesday nights in Exeter a permanent date in our diaries.

But, wait, there’s even more good news: Beats and Bass’ second event is hitting Cellar Door tomorrow (Tuesday, 8th October).

Having decided to rotate fortnightly between ‘Beats & Bass Presents’ – with their headliner events – and ‘Beats & Bass Society,’ their resident DJ nights, we can look forward to a night of guaranteed unbeatable sets from Beats and Bass’ very own: Ollie Gretton, Jack Stoles and Modu.

Entry on the door: £2 members; £4 non-members

Finally, don’t forget to keep this Saturday 12th free for Eats Everything at The Phoenix, where we will also find Beats and Bass playing some huge sets: