Edinburgh University buildings to close and all teaching cancelled for the Queen’s funeral

All university buildings including the library will be inaccessible for the day

On Monday 19th September the Queen’s State Funeral will take place, and has been confirmed as a Public and Bank Holiday.

Vice Principal Harmon has announced that the university will officially be closed so that “students and staff who wish to pay their respects can participate.”

Due to this, all university buildings including the library, study spaces, labs and technical spaces will be inaccessible.

All teaching, both in person and digital, will be cancelled or rearranged with standard teaching resuming on Tuesday 20th.

Across campus, there will be multiple books of condolences that students and staff can sign. These will be available at Old College Reception, Murray Library, Chancellor’s Building and The Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies.

The university paid tribute to the Queen on its website and the role she played within the university. In 1949 she received an honorary degree from the university and visited on countless occasions. Her most recent visit was in July 2021 when she visited the Edinburgh Change Institute.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

The Queen’s coffin has made its way from Holyrood Palace to St. Giles Cathedral

FLY Open Air Festival has been cancelled due to plans surrounding the Queen’s death

• The University of Edinburgh has been ranked 61st out of 80 universities in mental health league table