The Queen’s coffin has made its way from Holyrood Palace to St. Giles Cathedral

King Charles and his siblings took part in the procession which made its way down The Royal Mile

The procession of the Queen’s coffin from Holyrood Palace to St. Giles Cathedral has taken place this afternoon.

Those marching behind the hearse included King Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. The Queen Consort Camilla followed behind in a car.

The Queen will now lie in rest at St. Giles, with members of the public able to pay their respects from 5pm this afternoon until 5pm tomorrow.

Thousands of people travelled from all over Scotland to Edinburgh in order to witness the historic moment, with many waiting for hours to catch a glimpse of the procession.

The Tab Edinburgh was there on The Royal Mile from 11am this morning, talking to members of the public who were waiting to pay their respects.

One woman told us that she didn’t care how long she would have to wait, as “the Queen dedicated her whole life to serving us”.

This feeling was shared amongst the crowd, with another woman sharing her admiration for the woman who “spent her lifetime putting others before herself. She sacrificed so much, even being a mother”. Another added how admirable it was that she worked up until her last days.

As we stood there for almost four hours, conversation touched on the relationship between Harry and William, with one woman saying how sad it was that “a wife could cause such a fallout between brothers who were once so close”. The women then all agreed how hard it must be for the Royal Family having to work and grieve so publicly.

Crowds on The Royal Mile

As it hit 2pm and the canons started firing at the Castle, the mood shifted. You could see a few people starting to tear up as they reflected on what the Queen had meant to them. One woman started handing out tissues around her.

“She was like everyone’s nan.”

Not only were people grieving the loss of the Queen, but it also brought up memories of other personal losses. As one woman put it, “we all know what it’s like to lose someone, this is a strong reminder of that”.

While much of the crowd were from older generations, there were families with young children watching too.

One mother had brought her two young girls as she wanted them to “be a part of history”.

“It’s a once in a lifetime experience, and I want them to remember that they saw it with their mother.”

Despite standing for hours just to watch a three minute procession, no one complained. For many, it was the least they could do for the woman who they had admired the most.

You can watch the full procession on our Instagram story.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

FLY Open Air Festival has been cancelled due to plans surrounding the Queen’s death

• The University of Edinburgh has been ranked 61st out of 80 universities in mental health league table