Thirteen years later and these lyrics from Taylor Swift’s Fearless are still just as relatable

It’s a love story baby just say yes

As if Taylor Swift wasn’t busy enough last year making her two surprise albums Folklore and Evermore, she’s just released a new version of her award winning 2008 album Fearless.

Fearless (Taylor’s Version) not only includes completely rerecorded versions of all the original songs, but also six never heard before tracks written by Taylor during the Fearless era. She’s calling these tracks “from the vault”.

Thirteen years later, and the lyrics on Fearless are just as relatable now as they were then.

From intimidating cool girls to the horrors of online uni, here’s a list of the very best and most relatable lines from each song.

Fearless

“and I don’t know how it gets better than this, you take my hand and drag me headfirst, fearless”

If you’re not grabbing your friends on the 26th April and heading straight to The Pear Tree, what are you even doing?

Fifteen

“it’s your freshman year and you’re gonna be here for the next four years in this town, hoping one of those senior boys will wink at you and say “you know, I haven’t seen you around before”

Ah to be a first year again; full of hope and not dead inside. I miss that.

Love Story

“Romeo save me they’re trying to tell me how to feel, this love is difficult but it’s real”

When you fall for a Napier boy, but your Tory flatmates really don’t approve.

Hey Stephen

“the way you walk, way you talk, way you say my name it’s beautiful, wonderful, don’t you ever change”

Be honest, we’ve all had a secret crush on a Pollock boy or two. There’s just something about them that’s both extremely revolting yet alluring at the same time. I think it’s the confidence.

White Horse

“this is a big world, that was a small town, there in my rear view mirror disappearing now”

How all Edi students feel on the bus ride back from a daytrip to St Andrews. Imagine choosing to go to university somewhere even smaller than Durham. I could never.

You Belong with Me

“she wears high heels, I wear sneakers, she’s Cheer Captain and I’m on the bleachers”

Things have moved on a bit since 2008; the cool girls now wear long thrifted skirts, limited edition Air Force 1s, and a tote bag from their favourite indie bookshop to carry their Chilly’s bottle in. But they’re still just as intimidating.

Breathe

“and we know it’s never simple, never easy, never a clean break, no one here to save me”

As the academic year comes to an end, it means it’s time for our fourth years to spread their wings, fly the nest, and join the scary real world. We’ll miss you!

Tell Me Why

“I’m sick and tired of your reasons I got no one to believe in, you tell me that you want me, then push me around”

Throwback to being told it was okay to go home for Christmas just to then be banned from coming back in January. Nicola, you’re the reason I have trust issues.

You’re Not Sorry

“you’re looking so innocent, I might believe you if I didn’t know”

The tiny mouse in your kitchen might look like a harmless cutie, but let me tell you now THEY CAN JUMP.

The Way I loved You

“but I miss screaming and fighting and kissing in the rain, and it’s 2AM and I’m cursing your name”

What I’d give for messy nights out like that again. Tamagotchi Tuesdays, I miss you.

Forever & Always

“here’s to silence that cuts me to the core”

Breakout rooms are basically just tests to see who can stay silent the longest. Uncomfortable silences are definitely worse over Zoom.

The Best Day

“I’m five years old, it’s getting cold, I’ve got my big coat on”

Change “five” to “twenty” and you’ve summarised what it’s like going to university in Scotland during the Winter, Autumn, Spring and, let’s face it, Summer too.

Change

“because these things will change, can you feel it now? These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down. This revolution, the time will come for us to finally win”

Taylor Swift lyrics or EUSA president candidate manifestos? It’s a hard one.

You All Over Me

“so I lied, and I cried, and I watched a part of myself die”

When your tutor says, “I expect you’re all working hard on the essay” and you haven’t even looked at the title yet.

Mr. Perfectly Fine

“Mr. Insincere apology so he doesn’t look like the bad guy”

These past twelve months have just been a year of constant screwups and half-hearted apologies by those in power.

We Were Happy

“talking ’bout your daddy’s farm we were going to buy someday and we were happy”

Conversations like this when you’re dating the son of a wealthy landowner.

That’s When

“I knew my words were hard to hear and harder to ever take back”

When you have to tell someone that they’re sat in your booked library seat, and feel the pure hatred coming from them even though they’re in the wrong.

Don’t You

“sometimes I really wish that I could hate you, I’ve tried but that’s just somethin’ I can’t do”

Three words: The Big Cheese.

Bye Bye Baby

“and all the pages are just slipping through my hands, and I’m so scared of how this ends”

That stage of ‘revision’ when your notes are just words on a page that refuse to go in, and you know you’re in God’s hands now.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• What your favourite Taylor Swift album says about your general Edi vibe

• These are the very best lyrics from Taylor Swift’s Folklore which just sum up uni life

• These lyrics from Taylor Swift’s Evermore just sum up being an Edi student in 2020