Time for round two of Edi’s top student creatives to watch in 2021

Really, could Edinburgh be any more talented?

Round one well and truly blew us all away with the creative talent Edi has to offer, but we still have far more to come.

Looking to celebrate the artistic talents of Edinburgh’s student population, The Edinburgh Tab is here with an exciting new series of articles, showcasing the creators that truly represent the best of the best and should definitely be on your radar in 2021.

Do you fancy yourself as one of Edi’s top student creatives to watch in 2021? If so let us know by completing our form here.

Here are the creative students of round two, that we wish we could be half as talented as.

Laura Tobin – 4th Year, Photography

via @createdby.laura on Instagram

What is your creative passion, skill or pursuit?

Graphic Design/ Photography

What inspired you to start doing this?

“Over the last year, my love for graphic design has developed. I took the pandemic as an opportunity to experiment and educate myself as much as possible and it has become my passion in such a short period of time. I have always loved art and experimenting with different mediums and the pandemic seemed like the perfect time to dip my toes in new creative fields.

“Discovering my love for book binding and print and watching so many others taking advantage of lockdown and opening up small businesses inspired me to create an instagram page for my art and open up an Etsy shop as a side hustle.

“I am currently working on a personal project to encourage more females to work in the male dominated, creative industries. Producing a magazine entitled ‘HerStory’, filled with current young and inspiring female creatives in the hope to inspire and encourage others.”

via @createdby.laura on Instagram

Is there any particular message you want your work to communicate?

“I value the importance of spreading kindness and positivity, especially through visuals and I always aim to achieve this in everything I create. With the HerStory magazine I hope to spread creative courage and for it to be a safe place and community for female creatives.”

Where do you see this going in the future?

“Good question, I would love to be working in the magazine industry full time at some point, but for the near future I just hope to be creating and producing work that I love, and which inspire others. I just hope I’m happy with whatever I’m doing and making my family proud.”

Check out more of Laura’s work on her Instagram and her Etsy.

Raphael Gould – 4th Year, Medicine

Musician

What inspired you to start doing this?

“One time I recorded a song for my friends about IKEA meatballs, but they didn’t really get it was a joke and said I should release some music. I’ve always loved playing and singing, but recording an EP gave me something to work towards.”

“It really depends on the song, sometimes it’s just about trying to capture a moment or a feeling in time.”

“I just want to keep making the sort of music I’d like to listen to myself. Playing music live and collaborating with more people are two things I’m really looking forward to!”

Check out more of Raphael’s music on his Instagram and by listening to his EP.

Daisy Whittle – 2nd Year, Illustration

Drawing/Designing

What inspired you to start doing this?

“I can’t remember a time when I haven’t spent most of my time scribbling doodles on paper. Now, I’m inspired by what my fellow student designers are creating and bouncing off of their work’s energy. It’s simultaneously a dream and nightmare now; I wake up wading through wads of collage paper and wiping up paint splodges. But I love how chaotic being creative is. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

via @daisydrawn on Instagram

“Probably sounds really cheesy but I just want people to walk away from seeing my work feeling a bit lighter and with a smile on their face. I don’t tend to take illustration too seriously, honestly spend most of my time laughing at my degree and wondering how the hell I got here.”

“Well, with an arts degree I will probably end up working in cyber with Fatima. Absolutely gassed, can’t wait. I’d love to work full time as a designer, whether that be as part of a creative agency or a freelance illustrator – at this point to be honest anything that vaguely involves a pencil. Jokes aside, I would describe myself as pretty driven, by the end of my career I see myself working as a creative director.”

Check out more of Daisy’s work on her Instagram and her Etsy.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Round one of Edi’s top student creatives to watch in 2021 is here

• Interview: Meet the Edi student and viral TikToker teaching high fashion to the masses

We spoke to the producer behind the Edinburgh Uni student mental health documentary