Storm Ali has caused damage to Topshop’s roof on Princes Street

Police have cordoned off parts of the street

Storm Ali has been battering Edinburgh all day, with winds of up to 75mph leading the Met Office to issue an amber warning for residents to "be prepared".

Now the strong winds have forced police to close major sections of the city's roads due to falling masonry and debris causing danger to members of the public.

Earlier this afternoon paramedics and the police were called to the Princes Street Topshop after reports of lead tiling falling from the roof. Part of Princes Street has been consequently cordoned off, diverting trams travelling past St Andrews Square to York Place.

Part of South Bridge, between Chambers Street and the High Street, has also been closed by police after masonry was blown off the Tron Kirk on the Royal Mile.

A spokesperson for Edinburgh World Heritage told the Edinburgh Evening News:

“Masonry has fallen from the roof of the historic Tron Kirk on the Royal Mile. “Police have cordoned off the area with city council and Edinburgh World Heritage staff currently assessing the 17th century building.”

The high storm winds are expected to continue into the afternoon, with the amber warning currently in place until 5pm.

We are recruiting new writers, social media editors, and video creators. Sign up to join The Edinburgh Tab here.