Storm Ali has caused damaged to Topshop’s roof on Princes Street

Police have cordoned off parts of the street

Storm Ali has been battering Edinburgh all day, with winds of up to 75mph leading the Met Office to issue an amber warning for residents to "be prepared".

View this post on Instagram

Our first named storm of the season, Storm Ali, will bring strong winds and heavy rain across Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland during Wednesday. . See our story for link to video forecast 📺🌧💨 . An Amber National Severe Weather Warning is in place, warning of gusts of 65-75mph across the warning area. Gusts up to around 80mph gusts could also be possible in exposed locations, such as coastal regions and high ground. . Chief Forecaster Laura Paterson said: “Storm Ali is expected to bring a spell of very strong winds to northern parts of the UK through Wednesday, particularly Northern Ireland, central and southern Scotland and the far northwest of England. As this is the first spell of very strong winds of the season, and given that most trees are still in full leaf, we are likely to see some dangerous conditions with falling trees and flying branches and other debris likely. Strong winds will be accompanied by heavy, squally showers.” . . #stormali #stormname #weatheraware #weather #weatherwarning #storm #september #autumn

A post shared by Weather from the Met Office (@metoffice) on

Now the strong winds have forced police to close major sections of the city's roads due to falling masonry and debris causing danger to members of the public.

Earlier this afternoon paramedics and the police were called to the Princes Street Topshop after reports of lead tiling falling from the roof. Part of Princes Street has been consequently cordoned off, diverting trams travelling past St Andrews Square to York Place.

Part of South Bridge, between Chambers Street and the High Street, has also been closed by police after masonry was blown off the Tron Kirk on the Royal Mile.

A spokesperson for Edinburgh World Heritage told the Edinburgh Evening News:

“Masonry has fallen from the roof of the historic Tron Kirk on the Royal Mile. “Police have cordoned off the area with city council and Edinburgh World Heritage staff currently assessing the 17th century building.”

The high storm winds are expected to continue into the afternoon, with the amber warning currently in place until 5pm.

We are recruiting new writers, social media editors, and video creators. Sign up to join The Edinburgh Tab here.