Breaking news just in from the Daily Mail: WOMEN HAVE LEGS

It’s 2017 and they still don’t get it

For two of the most powerful politicians in the UK, Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeon, life must be quite busy at the min. Both are currently fighting for the future of their countries in arguably the most politically unstable era of our lifetime.

Brexit, the prospect of a second independence referendum in Scotland, fighting international terrorism, trying to prevent the kind of domestic terrorism that we saw in Westminster last week, having to deal with sex-pest Donald Trump, the fact the NHS is in crisis, trying to get to grips with global warming, figuring out how to get rid of the trillions of pounds of debt the UK owes; all of this, and more, is what they have to deal with.

Fortunately for May and Sturgeon, today they managed to bag themselves the front page of the newly-crowned newspaper of the year: the ever-gracious and reliable, Daily Mail. “Was it about the meeting they had regarding Brexit?” I hear you ask. Nah. So something to do with the relations between Scotland and England? The referendum? No, no.

It was about the fact that they have legs.

That’s right, despite Sturgeon and May having worked incredibly hard their whole lives to get to where they are today, despite the fact that they’re two of the most accomplished women in this country, and despite the amount of shit they have to deal with, the most important story out of this whole meeting, a Daily Mail exclusive: they both have legs.

You won’t be surprised to learn the story was written by Sarah Vine, who recently shamed some other women for their ‘unladylike’ behaviour, and for -you guessed it- having their bodies on show. Today it’s our female leaders, but who knows who she’ll go for next. No-one is safe.

Time and time again the Daily Mail’s front page makes the whole nation simultaneously shudder, and wonder: ‘Who let this go to print?’ This is not the first, and it certainly won’t be the last. Maybe we’ll never know how these headlines are allowed to happen, but what we do know is that in this grand year of two thousand and seventeen, women deserve to be recognised for their accomplishments. They deserve to be criticised in the same way as men, on their policy decisions, not their fashion. Women deserve to be seen as more than just their bodies. Women deserve more than the Daily Mail.