Durham students will only have nine days of teaching in February from UCU strikes

The full list of strike days in February and March has been released

After announcing eighteen days worth of strikes and industrial action, the University and College Union (UCU) has finally released all of the dates that lecturers up and down the country will be striking.

There are 33 days of term time teaching over February and March combined, meaning the eighteen days of planned strike action will result in the loss of up to 54 per cent of total teaching time during the two month period. This leaves Durham students with only 9 days of teaching in February due to the strikes.

The UCU has also called for a marking boycott, due to “excessive workloads” and lecturers having to “constantly” undertake hours of “unpaid work”. Lecturers and the UCU’s main grievances are to do with with better pay and pension.

This marking and assessment will take place from April unless an agreement can be reached.

The confirmed dates of the strikes across February and March are:

• Week 1 – Wednesday 1 February
  • Week 2 – Thursday 9 and Friday 10 February
  • Week 3 – Tuesday 14, Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16 February
  • Week 4 – Tuesday 21, Wednesday 22 and Thursday 23 February
  • Week 5 – Monday 27 and Tuesday 28 February and Wednesday 1 and Thursday 2 March
  • (No action week commencing Monday 6th March)
  • Week 6 – Thursday 16 and Friday 17 March
  • Week 7 – Monday 20, Tuesday 21 and Wednesday 22 March – will not affect Durham students

As Epiphany Term ends on Friday 17th March, strikes happening on Monday 20, Tuesday 21 and Wednesday 22 March will not affect Durham students, however all of the other strike days certainly will.