Image may contain: Bench, Poster, Flyer, Brochure, Ticket, Text, Paper

The rugby team that was suspended over the Miners vs Thatchers social is being reinstated

They’ve been working with East Durham Trust

Trevelyan RFC, who were last year suspended after plans of a Thatchers vs Miners social were leaked, are being reinstated for the 2018/2019 academic year.

In the Facebook event description for "Thatchers Government vs the M – I – N – E- rs," forwards were advised to come as miners with "flat caps, filth and a general disregard for personal safety." Backs were told to "elect one member to come as the "Iron Lady" herself, with the rest forming her government."

The club were banned from all "events and activities both on and off the field."

Following their suspension, the club has been working with charitable trusts and will meet annually with the Durham Miners' Association.

When approached for comment, Dr Ian Latham, Associate Principal of Trevelyan College, Durham University, said: “We immediately suspended Trevelyan College Rugby Club from all competitions and from training for the duration of the 2017/18 academic year and began disciplinary proceedings.

“Two students were required to make up for their behaviour by undertaking community service with a relevant charitable trust.

“Additionally, students from the Club have met with leaders of the Durham Miners’ Association to understand the impact of the actions of two of the club’s members, and have supported the community work of the East Durham Trust, work which will continue on an annual basis.

“We value and respect our shared North East heritage and continue to regret this wholly unacceptable incident.”

When asked for clarification, a representative from the college told the Durham Tab: "It’s clear from the statement that the suspension was for the 2017/18 academic year.”