Jeremy Corbyn to speak to Cambridge students

The former Labour leader will speak at an online event hosted by King’s Politics

Former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is slated to speak to Cambridge students at a virtual event hosted by King’s Politics on Tuesday 14th June.

Jeremy Corbyn will be speaking at a King’s Politics event (Image credits: Christophe Morin on Flickr via Creative Commons License)

In a brief biography in the King’s Politics Easter Term Card, the society introduced Corbyn as a “champion [of] numerous causes … in the Stop the War Coalition and the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.” Later, he “positioned the Labour Party on a platform of anti-austerity, pro-renationalisation and a less interventionist foreign policy” upon election as Leader of the Labour Party.

Corbyn currently sits as an independent MP for Islington North.

Other high-profile political names that King’s Politics has invited are Sir Ed Davey, incumbent Leader of the Liberal Democrats, and Steve Baker, former chair of the pro-Brexit European Research Group. Both politicians will appear at King’s College in person.

Ed Davey (left) and Steve Baker (right) will speak in-person at King’s (Image credits: Richard Townshend via Creative Commons License, and Richard Townshend via Creative Commons License)

King’s Politics will also host military officials this term. William McRaven, a retired United States four-star admiral who orchestrated the raid on Osama Bin Laden and the mission that captured Saddam Hussein, will speak in an online event on Wednesday 8th June.

Christopher Steele, a former MI6 Officer who authored a dossier that claimed misconduct and cooperation between Trump’s presidential campaign and the Russian government before and during the 2016 elections, will appear in person on Friday 13th May.

King’s Politics will organise its share of military-related politics events, including inviting Admiral William McRaven to speak (Image credits: LBJ Library Photo by Jay Godwin on Flickr via Creative Commons License)

Other speakers include author Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu, author of This Is Why I Resist; Professor Priyamvada Gopal, Professor of Postcolonial Studies at the Faculty of English; American-born British financier Bill Browder, who was refused entry into Russia on national security grounds; Yanis Varoufakis, Greek Minister of Finance in 2015 during the Greek debt crisis; and Arun Mani, also known as Mrwhostheboss, a tech reviewer on YouTube with over 10 million subscribers.

(Left to right) Shola Mos-Shogbamimu, Priyamvada Gopal, Bill Browder and Yanis Varoufakis are four others slated to speak this term (Image credits: Shola Mos-Shogbamimu via Creative Commons, The Laura Kelly Show via Creative Commons, William F. Browder via Creative Commons, and Chatham House on Flickr via Creative Commons)

The King’s Politics Committee wrote, “It has been awesome to open up our doors again and welcome thousands of you to King’s.

“As we kick off our final term as a committee, we just wanted to say thank you for coming to our events, for asking great questions, for writing fascinating blogs and speaking in spicy debates, and above all that, thank you for helping us create some great memories for each other.”

In-person events will take place in Keynes’ Hall next to the King’s College bar and tickets are available to students across the University.

Feature image credits: JORDAN CURTIS HUGHES on Flickr via Creative Commons License