Cindies announces it is officially closing down to make space for a new hotel

It’s really happening

Cindies, the club we know and love, has this evening announced it will be closing down, after plans were approved by the council for a new hotel to be built in Cambridge’s Lion Yard. This announcement was made today at 5 pm on the Ballare Facebook page.

The planning permissions were granted in 2019, and stipulated that a new hotel was to open in the Lion Yard, with a condition that a nightclub would be part of the developments. However, Cindies has today stated that: “Despite our best efforts, the landlord has failed to accommodate a workable space fit for a nightclub to operate in, contradicting the council’s planning approval.”

The statement goes on to say: “Today is a very sad day. It is with a heavy heart we must confirm that Ballare will not be reopening its doors! On behalf of our staff and management, we would like to say thank you for all the amazing memories and wish you all the best for the future. We will miss you all.”

Credit: Camfess via Facebook

This news, not even an hour old, has already shocked students across the University, with rumours of the club’s closure spreading on Camfess since Saturday (14th).

There has been a nightclub in the Lion Yard for the last 40 years. What opened as Ronelle’s in the 1980s, became Cinderella Rockerfeller in the 90s, and is still affectionately known as Cindies to students across Cambridge, despite it’s rebranding as Ballare in 2001.

Students have already been speaking out about the announcement. One finalist at Emma said: “Cambridge has become significantly less lit and probably more nerdy” and another finalist at Christ’s said: “I literally cannot believe it. Cambridge will never be the same.”

Feature image credit: Matt Hutton