FULL UNION LINEUP RELEASED

Featuring Legolas!

| UPDATED Hide Images

Following the release of the speakers teaser and the Tab exclusive debates teaser, The Tab can now reveal the full lineup at the Cambridge Union this coming term. It looks like this term is going to be huge!

The termcard gets going on Monday with international rugby star James Haskell. Sport-minded Cantabs will be excited by the opportunity to see the greatest footballer of all time, the legendary Pelé, as well as five-time gold medal winner, Katherine Grainger, and the infamous midfielder Joey Barton.

However, the biggest event of term will surely be an appearance by Orlando Bloom who played Legolas in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, Also known for Pirates of the Caribbean, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven and his huge commitments to charity, this is not one to be missed!

Also appearing from the world of the screen are Bryan Cranston, who starred as chemistry teacher turned millionaire drug lord Walter White in Breaking Bad, Dr. Who star Adjoa Andoh, and Golden Globe nominee Hayley Atwell.

You can also hear about life behind the camera from Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, an Emmy and Oscar-winning Pakistani filmmaker, journalist and activist, known pioneering work on gender equality in Pakistan. Members will also be able to hear from TV sensations Davina McCall, Katie Price (aka Jordan) and Geordie Shore star Chloe Ferry in a debate about celebrity culture.

Joining the termcard from the world of music are the rising star of UK hip hop Loyle Carner and the celebrated Norwegian tropical house star Kygo. Also featuring is a blast from the past with Peter Andre, known for such classics as "Mysterious Girl" and "Flava".

When it comes to Social Issues, the Union is taking on the issue of mental health for the Presidential debate. The motion will be: ‘This House is Finally Talking Mental Health’ and will include Top of the Pops presenter Fearne Cotton, Murray- Edwards President, gender equality campaigner and former CEO of OXFAM GB, Dame Barbara Stocking and anti-racism campaigner Patrik Hermansson.

For the scientists of Cambridge, the Union will be holding a special debate on ‘This House Needs New Drugs”, featuring AstraZeneca CEO, Pascal Soriot. The first debate of term will also feature science as a key theme, as we debate the future of driverless cars. Speakers will include CEO of Aston Martin, Andy Palmer alongside Dr. Kai-Fu Lee, CEO of AI firm Sinovation, and former Vice-President of Google.

Business leaders will also feature on the lineup: Virgin Money CEO Jayne-Anne Gadhia will address the Union about her life as one of the most powerful women in banking. Career-minded Cantabs should go along to the debate on whether London is losing its edge, with speakers including former Liberal Democrat MP Chris Huhne, Institute of Economic Affairs Director-General Mark Littlewood and Royal Mail CEO Maya Greene.

Politics is the bread and butter of the Union, and this term's debate topics include the Brexit deal, in which the controversial Jacob Rees Mogg will be speaking alongside Nicky Morgan, former Education Secretary and MP for Loughborough. In a debate about the threats presented by North Korea and Russia journalist and former MP Louise Mensch, and former British Ambassador to North Korea John Everard will appear. Furthermore, the ever-pertinent Israel-Palestine conflict will be explored in a debate on the two-state solution, featuring renowned American academic Norman Finkelstein.

Other political leaders appearing include the Chief Executive of Afghanistan, Abdullah Abdullah, Conservative Peer and House of Cards writer Lord Dobbs, former US National Security Advisor to President Trump, General Mike Flynn and anti-extremism campaigner Imam Usama Hasan. Bestselling author and academic Karen Armstrong and internationally-renowned social activist Amin Hashwani will feature in a highly interesting two-person panel.

There are also a huge number of social events available this term. Ranging from an all-American Superbowl party to the highly anticipated black-tie Spring Ball which will this year has the futuristic theme: "Chromium".

Union President Jonah Surkes told the Tab: "The lineup features something for everyone, and we hope that regardless of your views, your backgrounds, and your interests, we welcome you to join the debate."

Furthermore, he made clear the breadth available in the termcard: "Even if you aren’t into A-listers and political heavyweights, we are also so pleased to be platforming speakers with fascinating and important stories to tell."

The full termcard is available to view here. It offers huge range and should leave no doubt in your mind that this will be a stellar term at Cambridge's largest student society.