GOAT RACE TEAM ANNOUNCED: Hamish vs Hazel

It’s going to be bleating brilliant.

boat race Cambridge dark blues gdbo goat race goats light blues Oxford oxford cambridge boat race Oxford Cambridge Goat Race

On Sunday at the exact same time as the significantly less exciting Cancer Research UK Boat Races, two goats will race around the track of Spitalfields City Farm for honour, glory and an edible vegetable trophy. 

Representing Oxford is Hamish, a three-year-old African Pygmy Goat and returning Goat Race champion. Last year he defeated Cambridge newcomer Hugo to secure the first victory for the Dark Blues in six years. But Hamish knows both sides of the race, having competed and secured victory for Cambridge in 2014 and he is currently the only pygmy goat to have won the event twice.

When asked by the Tab how it felt to make history at the cost of abandoning his Cambridge roots, Hamish looked at us blankly, whilst chewing grass.

Representing the Light Blues we have Hazel, a three-year-old Golden Guernsey Goat and a single mother. Although she is a newcomer to the race, Hazel has racing in her blood as she is the daughter of Bramble, who won the Goat Race for Cambridge in 2012. Hazel has stated in the event of her winning, she will dedicate the victory to her kids (Geddit? Baby goats? I’m here all week). At least, that’s what her eyes seemed to say as she tried to eat my notepad.

Both goats are keen to beat the course record of 56 seconds and raise money for their home, Spitalfields City Farm. Last year the Goat Race raised £10,000 and was enough to pay the food bill for the entire farm for a year.

Tickets for the single most exciting sporting event of the weekend can be purchased here.