What’s On Week 1

Week One has begun and the culture is kicking off! Choose your cultural method of procrastination with The Tab.

FILM

The Hobbit II: Desolation of Smaug, Palmerston Room, Fisher Building, St Johns, 27th April @ 7pm & 10pm 

Go and watch Benedict Cumberbatch being a dragon at St John’s Picturehouse,

The Dark Crystal, Arts Picturehouse, 27th April @ 6pm

Classic cult 80s fantasy film made by Jim Henson (of The Muppets fame), shown in 70mm film. It’s like Labyrinth, without David Bowie.

THEATRE

Hedda Gabler, 29th April – 3rd May @ 7.45pm

A very famous Ibsen play. Racy and tragic. Go see.

Ted Hill’s Quiptease, Corpus Playroom, 28th April @ 9.30pm

Fresh faces, an amusing powerpoint, and lots of male nudity.

Moscow: Cheryomushki, John’s Divinity School, 3rd May @ 8.30pm

For one night only, in John’s Divinity School catch Shostakovitch’s light-but-politically-charged opera. If you miss it this week, never fear, there’s a second performance in Caius during May Week.

MUSIC

Turf Opening Bash for Dimensions Festival, Fez Club, 24th April, doors open @ 10pm

Special Request/Paul Woolford with a powerhouse of a DJ set.

Disney at Trinity, 26th April, Trinity Chapel @ 8.30pm

This enormously popular, sell-out show by CUMTS is back for a second round. Don’t miss out.

CoCo and the Butterfields, Junction, 28th April, Doors @ 8pm, £10

CoCo and the Butterfields burst into the scene in 2011, with their own brand of folk, pop and hip hop. Quickly being awarded the nation’s “best unsigned act” at UK Live & Unsigned 2012. Having performed alongside the like of Bastille and King Charles, head down and spend the best £10 you will this week.