Varsity Women’s Football: Down To The Wire!

Oxford made Cambridge work for it in a nailbitter of a match that went all the way to penalties. MEGAN HUGHES reports.

cambridge university womens football CUAWFC david hardeman megan hughes oxford defeated womens football varsity 2013

Cambridge 1-1 Oxford (Cambridge win 4-2 on penalties)

Snow had begun to fall as Cambridge Women’s Football team squared up to their Oxford opponents before this years’ Varsity match. Oxford might have been disheartened by their heavy defeat on Wednesday at the hands of these very same Light Blues, but Saturday’s match promised to be somewhat more of a battle for Wednesday’s victors; several Cambridge players were harbouring fairly debilitating injuries, and Oxford had brought along a much stronger squad. From the outset, it became clear that this game would prove to be far more physical, and the teams far more evenly-matched, than they had been earlier in the week.

Oxford took a suprising lead with a lucky break through Cambridge’s defence

Despite suffering injury woes, Cambridge began strongly, rapidly assuming control of play and working the ball around Dark Blue players. Oxford weren’t without reply, however, and did occasionally break into the Cambridge half on the attack. It was through one such foray into Light Blue territory that they capitalised upon a half-chance, and struck the back of the net. Oxford suddenly found themselves on top, though completely against the run of play, and for the Cambridge Blues the game suddenly became worryingly reminiscent of their previous encounter in The Other Place, which had ended in a draw.

Not a team to let an early concession get them down, the Light Blues were fired up by the Oxford goal, and quickly re-established their domination on the pitch. Clever play through the midfield, worked by Bale and Furtwangler, the latter having taken a heavy blow to the chest in an early collision, led to chance after chance for the Cambridge side. The Light Blue wingers, Bull and Savage, capitalised on weaknesses in Dark Blue defence to break through and swing crosses into the Oxford box, but to no avail. Half time came with Oxford maintaining their one-goal lead, and Cambridge unable to make the most of a plethora of chances.

The home team wasted many a chance in the first half

When the Light Blue footballers emerged onto the pitch after the break, they were sure that they could turn the game around, despite the heavy loss of their striker Van Thorenburg, hampered by an injury sustained on Wednesday. Once again, it turned out to be a story of Cambridge possession and Oxford haplessness, though try as they might, the dominating team struggled to convert successive openings on goal. The breakthrough came deep into the second half; attacking midfielder McGhee, who had been the fulcrum of Cambridge supremacy throughout the match, floated a corner kick into the box to be driven into the Oxford goal off the chest of Brown.

Cambridge dominated possession in extra time, but the Oxford defense proved significantly stronger than earlier in the week

Having equalised to rapturous applause from the crowds who had turned out for the Varsity clash, the Cambridge players continued to maintain control of play, yet couldn’t find a winning goal before the final whistle. Extra time saw a similar story unfold; attack after Cambridge attack left their opposition floundering, but failed to hit the Oxford netting. It soon became inevitable that the dreaded penalty shoot-out would decide the victors, an outcome neither side had desired. Nonetheless, Cambridge captain Southgate, who had played the full 120 minutes despite an ankle injury, assured her teammates that whatever the outcome, they had been the better side.

The tenacity the Light Blues had showed on the pitch, however, didn’t evaporate as they proceeded to penalties; if anything they were more determined to win, and would not settle for anything less. McGhee, who had heroically donned the goalie shirt, first buried her penalty, and then stepped up to save the opposition’s shots. Successive converted penalties from Carr, Bale and Savage left Oxford, who had failed to score their second, dependent upon the outcome of their fourth penalty. As the ball rocketed over the crossbar, there were ecstatic screams from the crowd, and manic celebrations from the players themselves. It might not have been the demolition of Oxford reminiscent of earlier in the week, but Cambridge’s victory on penalties was a true reflection of their skill, teamwork, and absolute domination on the pitch.

Cambridge were jubilant at the final whistle

With special thanks to David Hardeman for the photography