Netball Round-Up: Week 3

Newnham are on fire in the snow as MICHAEL ALHADEFF rounds up the latest netball action

Blues Catz centre court Frozen goals jesus johns Ladies michael alhadeff murray edward Netball nets Newnham postponed queeze Snow wing attack

The netball league rolled on this week despite the arctic conditions around many of Cambridge’s courts. Newnham were the big winners this week as they maintained their 100% record this term and look like genuine title contenders.

Murray Edwards 14-19 Newnham

Newnham made it three wins out of three this term as they start to look serious challengers for the title. It was Muz’s first defeat of the new campaign, but they did not go down without a fight. The sides reached the end of the first quarter tied a 4-4, a clear indication of the competitiveness of the match. However, Newnham showed that little bit extra in the rest of game and in doing so established a lead that Muz could never quite claw back.

Downing 10-10 Emma

Downing are still pushing hard despite being forced into further reshuffles within their squad. Having welcomed back those missing from the team last term, they lost another key centre court player this week, but still managed to remain a dominant threat to Emma.

Indeed, they were able to push into a first-quarter lead. Their spirit was personified in Abi Calver who, despite having a knee injury, played a great game as WA working with Philippa Geering about the attacking circle, keeping the ball in Downing hands and feeding into the shooters.

From then on it was neck and neck as both teams responded to each other’s attacks. If Downing had Calver and Geering, then Emma had Jenkins and Harrison who worked to maintain the pressure at the opposite end of the court by picking up some great rebounds. Downing even managed to neutralise Emma’s Blue, but were unable to hang on at the last minute as Emma levelled the contest.

Catz 15-8 Johns

Having had a difficult start to life in the top league, Catz will be savouring their first victory over Johns.  A return of more regulars to the court has clearly signalled a change in fortunes; the team showing great passion and determination to secure victory. Catz will be hoping they can push on from here. For their part, Johns will be disappointed that they did not take advantage of the rest they were given last week.

Queens’ P-P Jesus

The game between Queens’ and Jesus was cancelled.

Photographs by Sarah Sheldon