They’re Nuts About Hawking

Maths Professor Stephen Hawking has been voted ‘British Bloke of the Year’ by readers of lads’ mag Nuts, beating celebs such as Jeremy Clarkson.

caius Cambridge David Beckham David Mitchell Dominic Smith Hawking Jeremy Clarkson Nuts Sacha Baron Cohen

Stephen Hawking has been voted ‘British Bloke of the Year’ by readers of lads’ mag Nuts, beating top celebs such as Jeremy Clarkson and David Beckham.

‘High-powered’ and ‘intellectual’ may not typically be words used to describe the contents of Nuts, but Hawking’s victory proves that Nuts readers really do appreciate a thinking man.

Hawking, who is Fellow at Caius, topped the poll, which was voted for by 12,000 British men aged between 16 and 30.

Hawking responded positively to his triumph, and thanked the lads’ mag for his prize: “Thanks, Nuts. I’m pleased to hear that I’m Britain’s favourite ‘Nut’!” he commented, wryly.

But, Hawking wasn’t alone in representing Cambridge’s top blokes. In total, four Cantabs made the top 20. David Mitchell came third, while Borat, aka Sacha Baron Cohen, placed ninth in the poll. Both comedians read History while at Cambridge.

It was no surprise to readers that Top Gear presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May all made the list.

But surprisingly, nature nut Sir David Attenborough made it to number 13 in the poll. Attenborough studied Nat Sci at Clare College, which now features a bust of the legend on the stairs to its cafeteria.

Perhaps Nuts’ readers are into more than just girls and cars.

Nuts‘ editor, Dominic Smith, is keen to confirm this suspicion, saying that it was probably Hawking’s “work regarding gravitational singularities in the frame work of general relativity that tipped the balance in his favour.”

Forget the CBE and the Presidential Medal of Freedom; this must be a proud moment for Hawking.

TOP 20 GREATEST BLOKES OF THE YEAR:

1. Stephen Hawking
2. Daniel Craig
3. David Mitchell
4. David Beckham
5. Christian Bale
6. Jeremy Clarkson
7. Frankie Boyle
8. Boris Johnson
9. Sacha Baron Cohen
10. Harry Hill
11. Russell Howard
12. Simon Pegg
13. Sir David Attenborough
14. James May
15. Richard Hammond
16. Chris Kamara
17. Ian Holloway
18. Chris Moyles
19. Clive Owen
20. Lee Evans