Tit Hall Accused Of Homophobia

Trinity Hall’s June Event Committee was accused of allowing homophobic discrimination last night, after all male couples were banned from the swings.

committee Edward Carpenter LBGT trinity hall

Trinity Hall's June Event Committee was accused of allowing homophobic discrimination last night as it emerged that they banned male couples from riding on the swings together. 

The attraction's policy was strictly enforced despite multiple complaints from the June Event's gay attendees. Guests were left to speculate about the motives behind the decision.

One of the couples turned away from the attraction included a final-year law student, who told The Tab: "It was outrageous. We identified ourselves as a gay couple but were told we would not be permitted to ride together. This breaks about a dozen anti-discrimination and human rights laws."

Another guest said: "In desperation, I asked if my boyfriend and I would be let on if we found a pair of girls to double up with. It was humiliating."

Members of the June Event security team were aware of the problem and told an undercover Tab reporter: "We've had several complaints and we've passed each one on to the Committee, but they have insisted: it's mixed couples only."

The revelation will come as an embarrassment to the College, whose alumni include early socialist Edward Carpenter, a leading advocate of homosexual equality. Carpenter graduated from Trinity Hall in 1862 and was one of the first people to risk expressing his views publicly despite the illegality of homosexuality.

Despite being in contact with The Tab, the June Event Committee had not provided us with a comment by the time of going to press. The LGBT section of Trinity Hall's website continues to claim that "Fostering a safe and accepting community is important to the entire MCR."