Radio Cam Scam

CUR1350 station is embroiled in the biggest scandal of their 30 year history.

Cambridge University CUR1350 OFCOM radio cam radio scam

Cambridge University Radio Station is being investigated by OFCOM for scamming listeners out of prizes.

CUR 1350 is accused of continuing to advertise a competition even though the winner had already been selected.

An angry listener reported the scam to the regulator, stating that the competition had been conducted in an 'unfair manner'.

In a set of allegations similar to those made against the BBC and GMTV last year, OFCOM claims that the radio station did not appropriately describe how a winner would be selected, and that presenters asked for entries six minutes after the winner was chosen.

In the competition, listeners were played a clip of music and invited to contact the station via email, telephone, text message or the station's website to identify the song. (In this case Laura from the Scissor Sisters.) Presenters did not explain that the entrant who submits the first correct answer is awarded the prize.

The prize was a pair of guest list tickets to a Big Fish Ent of their choice, including popular events such as Jelly Baby at Cindies and Oasis at Fez.

OFCOM keeps the details of all complaints anonymous, so they have not released the name of the person that they were contacted by. OFCOM then got in touch with the station to let them know that the complaint had been made; they requested an MP3 recording of the show and information on the competition.

Sophie Wawro, station manager and member of Downing College, commented that 'the show had not breached broadcasting guidelines and therefore no action would be taken'.

She went on to say that the mishap happened after the usual presenter backed out last minute, claiming that it is 'not unusual for the presenter to change at the last minute due to work commitments, last minute supervisions, essay crises etc'.

CUR1350 broadcasts from Churchill College 24 hours a day and attracts listeners from both Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin Universities.

The station is planning to re-brand itself 'Cam FM' after gaining an FM licence, in a move to attract more listeners in the coming year.