Pem-Not-Broke

An anonymous donor has donated £1.8 million to the University to fund a visiting professorship in finance.

Cambridge University donation Judge Business School Pembroke

An anonymous donor has donated £1.8 million to the University to fund a visiting professorship in finance, it emerged yesterday.

The Tab has learned that the donor is thought to be an ex-Pembroke College student who wanted the new seat, 'The Pembroke Visiting Professorship of International Finance', to attract top financial boffins to the University for up to six months at a time.

Who will complete the role is expected to be decided by Michaelmas by a board which will include the governor of the Bank of England, Mervyn King.

External involvement from the world of finance in the choice of candidate was specified by the donor as a condition of the new seat.

The mystery benefactor has also donated an unspecified sum to Pembroke for visiting professors 'to engage in the scholastic, social, and intellectual life of the college'.

Accommodation for the professor will be provided at the Judge Business School. The University refused to comment on the donation.