Cuppers: Trinity Take Home Trophy

Trinity hold off League rivals Downing to win a cagey cuppers final.

cuppers final Cuppers football downing football Trinity

Trinity 2 – 0 Downing

Trinity saw off Downing in a cagey cuppers football final at Grange road, preventing an historic double for the side that pipped them to the league title.

The game had been billed as a midfield battle and Downing’s 3-6-1 formation did little to dispel that expectation.

An untidy encounter ultimately came down to who took their chances and Trinity did just that – scoring from a penalty and a corner that Downing’s defence failed to deal with.

After an even first half featuring just six shots, Trinity scored 2 in quick succession after the break before and preventing any reply.

Danny Gammall scored from the spot after Downing Captain Tom Marsh fouled in the box and Trinity added a second only minutes later, after a corner bounced in off Downing’s Liang Zhiang.

With a two goal deficit, Downing looked to attack, but their attacking ambitions were not helped by a solid display form Trinity’s goalkeeper, including a spectacular save from a Sam Isaac’s header.

Struggling to escape the midfield scraps and unable to provide that final ball, Downing were left wishing they could heed the calls of long-time supporter Katie Brown and “get in the box.”

Tom Marsh nodded a header just inches wide with two minutes to go, but it was too little too late for the league winners, who struggled to string together enough possession to score twice.

Image courtesy of Helena Wells.