CCK Cruise into Cuppers Semis

CCK came out on top in their Cuppers clash with Homerton. Read more here

CCK rugby college rugby homerton rugby john's rugby rugby cuppers

Homerton 7 – 17 CCK

CCK outclassed a determined Homerton outfit in the quarter finals of Cuppers, but will need to improve greatly if they want to think about challenging John’s in the semis.  

Despite only having 14 players on the pitch for the first half, Homerton had the opportunity to draw first blood after a penalty was awarded for a blatant tackle in the air.

However, the home side failed to capitalise on this early opportunity as the kick at goal drifted wide and for the rest of the half CCK were firmly in control.

After sustained pressure in the Homerton half, CCK number 8 Ken Burns dived over in the corner to make the first score, which was followed by a successful conversion.

For the next twenty minutes Homerton were continually on the back foot, though in all fairness to the hosts they were able to stop at least three different try-scoring opportunities.

It took the dazzling footwork of CCK fullback Ben Liang, who was exceptional throughout the game, to dance through the blue wall of defenders to make the score 12-0 after the conversion hit the upright.

CCK continued to dominate for the remainder of the half, particularly in the lineout.  However frustration and mistakes began to creep into their game, costing them 30 metres from three Homerton penalties for bad language, and dropping the ball on the line on several occasions.

The second half started badly for Homerton, who, desperately needing the first score of the half, dropped the ball from the kickoff. Minutes later CCK made them pay, prop Stuart Brown running unopposed 10 meters to the line to score.

Homerton’s only try came about after a curious refereeing decision. Before the try was scored under the posts, a Homerton forward pushed one of the CCK defenders to the floor, stopping him for tackling the scorer.  The referee called it as an illegal play, but then proceeded to award the try and subsequent conversion to make the score 17-7.

While it didn’t make a difference to the outcome of the game, some consistency with the rules never hurt anyone.

The dying moments of the game saw sloppy play and mistakes from both teams.  Homerton attempted a few last minute manoeuvres in the hope of a comeback, but their fatigue was obvious, and nothing they attempted came to fruition.

Kudos must especially go to the Homerton inside centre, who was limping heavily by the end but still involved in absolutely every movement.  The final whistle came as the rain began, with CCK victors 17-7.

One CCK supporter was heard saying by the end: “Homerton have been absolutely dire.”  Somewhat harsh on the hosts and their continued brave tackling, but CCK did always look in control.

Whilst both these third division teams should be proud to have reached the quarters, the game was littered with missed opportunities and mistakes. Whether this was due to the muddy conditions is debatable, but what is certain is that John’s are going to provide much tougher test for CCK in their upcoming semi-final clash.

The Tab’s Man of the Match: Ben Liang, CCK

Remaining Quarter-Finals

John’s vs Girton

Churchill vs Trinity

Jesus vs Queens’