Netballers despatch Nottingham Trent

Cambridge beat a strong Nottingham Trent 32-21

blues netball Netball

Cambridge 31 – 21 Nottingham Trent

The Blues held their nerve against a strong Trent team to come away victors.

Following last week’s annihilation of the woeful Worcester, the Blues had to step up several gears to compete with an opposition capable of catching, passing, and shooting.

The game was played at an incredibly high tempo, with neither side allowed much free time on the ball.  Such was the intensity that at times the grunting and groaning was worthy of a back alley in Amsterdam.

Unlike last week the Blues weren’t having things all their own way. Up against Trent’s tank-like defenders, Goal Shooter Jess McGeorge and Goal Attack Betty Wheater did incredibly well to find the net. net vs trent 2

The Blues were well worth their 8-3 first quarter lead.

Sloppy passing from the Blues after the break let their opponents back into the contest. Trent gained the momentum and netted a flurry of goals to bring the scores level.

If it hadn’t been for the dogged defence of Antonia Akoto and Beth Tyrie the Blues could have been in real danger of defeat.

An animated half-time pep talk from their coach appeared to be the tonic that the Blues’ needed. Cheered on by their bench they raced into a commanding 24-14 lead with just the final quarter to go.

By now the Blues’ class was beginning to show. Playing some silky netball they worked the ball around the circle and into the hands of their prolific shooters; their fine finishing saw the Blues home to a 32-21 victory.

In a game marred by controversy the university 2nds lost 36-41 to Northampton 1sts courtesy of some dubious umpiring from one of their opponents’ mothers.