First case of Coronavirus confirmed in Bristol
Bristol City Council confirmed it in a statement today
Bristol City Council and Public Health England have confirmed the first case of Coronavirus in Bristol, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the UK to 163.
In a statement, the council said that the case was a Bristol resident, and had been self-isolating having recently returned from North Italy.
They added that they are “contacting people who had close contact with” the person.
The first #coronavirus case in Bristol has been confirmed. Please be reassured the risk to the public remains low and we've been working with health colleagues to ensure people are protected and treated if needed. https://t.co/aSgjT8JDDO
For advice visit: https://t.co/z3T5Lt1Be3
— Bristol City Council (@BristolCouncil) March 6, 2020
Christina Gray, Director of Public Health for Bristol City Council, said in the statement that “risk to the public remains low “, and that they are “fully prepared for a case of COVID-19 in Bristol”.
She added: “Good hygiene is the best way to prevent the further spread of the virus, so please regularly wash your hands thoroughly and if you cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue.”
Image credit: SWNS stock image