Image may contain: Banner, Crowd, Text, Human, Person

UoB won’t reimburse students for lost contact hours

…but you still might be able to claim some money back

The University of Bristol will not reimburse students for contact hours lost during the recent lecturer strikes.

Bristol students can claim compensation for travel, childcare costs or even food eaten on a day when strike action took place.

This comes after Sussex Uni said it would offer up to £100 to students who experienced "inconvenience or distress" as a result of the strikes.

Bristol Uni have chosen to reinvest the pay withheld from staff during the strikes into "student-related activities."

Professor Sarah Purdy, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Student Experience, told The Bristol Tab: "We have been working with the Students' Union to identify the priority areas for investment of this money.

"Students who have been financially impacted by industrial action are also able to make a claim under the student expense fund."

Can I claim any compensation?

Image may contain: Smoke, Parade, Text, Pedestrian, Downtown, Festival, Car, Automobile, Vehicle, Transportation, Crowd, City, Town, Building, Street, Urban, Road, Human, Person

The strikes in full swing

The uni will consider a number of claims but there is no guarantee that they will be granted.

If you travelled to the uni by bus, train or coach on a strike day, you could get that money reimbursed. Rail/bus passes aren't eligible for reimbursement and neither are first-class tickets.

If you travelled by car to uni on a strike day, you could be reimbursed 15p for every mile and any parking costs could be fully paid for.

If you incurred any extra childcare costs as a result of the strikes, you could be eligible for compensation.

If you needed any additional study materials as a consequence of the strike action, you could also claim for compensation.

You could even be reimbursed for food and drink bought on days when you went into uni to find that lectures and seminars were cancelled.

Do you think students should be reimbursed for lost contact hours? Have your say by answering our poll!

All the details of the Student Expense Fund can be found here.

If you think you're entitled to compensation, send your claim to [email protected].