Image may contain: Kiosk, Postal Office

Scrap over a hat at The Love Inn results in Bristol student committing GBH

The victim suffered a broken eye socket

A University of Bristol student pleaded guilty to committing grievous bodily harm in a fight over a hat.

Bristol Crown Court heard how the events unfurled at The Love Inn in Stokes Croft.

Courtney Brown, a third-year Electrical Engineering student at Bristol University, was allegedly annoying a female friend of Thomas Roberts. An argument broke out whereby Roberts flicked Brown's hat.

The pair separated but clashed again in the smoking area when Brown demanded £20 for his lost hat. Soon after, Brown punched Roberts in the head.

Roberts then went to Bristol Royal Infirmary where it was confirmed that his eye socket had been fractured.

Brown pleaded guilty to inflicting GBH in February of last year. Since, Phillip Shepherd QC has given Brown a 12 month community order including rehabilitation and instructed him to pay £200 to the victim in compensation.

Shepherd stated: "You are a man of good character who has not offended before.

"You are a man of great talent and promise and your application to your studies, a degree in electrical engineering, shows that you are capable of academic excellence of a high order.

"This was a single punch and I accept that this was wholly out of character."