University Challenged

Bristol Uni thrashed by Imperial in last night’s second round match-up but the team gain plenty of admirers on Twitter.

A below-par effort from the Bristol team
Picture: BBC

Bristol’s University Challenge dream died last night with a heavy defeat to Imperial College London.

Bristol’s team could manage only 115 points to Imperial’s 245 and were chasing the game from the opening minutes. Imperial were frequently quicker than Bristol on the buzzer and were clinical in their collection of bonus points.

Bristol captain Will Brady was left to rue their misfortune, admitting they were “too slow on the draw”.

It wasn’t all bad news for Bristol though, with the team attracting plenty of attention on Twitter. However, little of it was for their intellectual ability.

Will Brady’s shirt and tie combination caught the eye, particularly with female viewers.

However, some of the men watching weren’t quite as impressed.

We’ll let you decide for yourselves.

Will Brady: Hunk or Hobbit?
Photo: BBC

Regardless of his looks, Brady led the Bristol team commendably and earned praise from many for his attempts to get Bristol back into the quiz late on.

Female contestants always seem to get extra scrutiny on the show (just ask Gail Trimble) so it was hardly surprising to see Madeleine Fforde attract plenty of male attention.

Again, we’ll leave this one up to you.

Photo: BBC

With Bristol exiting the competition, fans of Brady and Fforde will have to make do with re-watching the show on iPlayer. Imperial, described as “formidable opposition” by Jeremy Paxman, move on to the quarter-finals.

Did you watch the show? What did you think of Bristol’s effort? Let us know in the comments below.