All the famous people you had no idea went to Birmingham Uni

Yes Jackie from Friday Night Dinner went to UoB

Every student dreams for a time in the future when they are added to the history books of notable alumni. Whether you have aspirations in politics, the entertainment industry or comedy, don’t lose hope as UoB has produced some impressive household names over the years.

When you came to Birmingham you knew you were coming to a great city but did you ever wonder who else lived in your halls of residence, who else sat in your lectures, who else walked under Old Joe?

If the answer is yes then look no further, we’ve done the research so you don’t have to. Below is a list of those celebrities who studied at UoB.

Chris Tarrant OBE

The former Who Wants to be a Millionaire presenter, studied English at the University of Birmingham.

No description available.

The Radio and television presenter was also awarded a place on Birmingham’s Walk of Stars back in 2010.

Rt. Ann Widdecombe

The Former Shadow Home Secretary is probably the biggest surprise from this list, she spent some of her uni days at UoB before she entered the House of Commons.

No description available.

The former politician who is most well known for her iconic stint on Strictly Come Dancing, studied Latin at the university.

She then later went to study at Oxford to do a BA in PPE.

Ben Shephard

The Tipping Point and GMB presenter, achieved a 2:1 BA Hons degree in Dance, Drama & Theatre Arts from the university.

No description available.

That’s probably why we haven’t seen him on Strictly yet, talk about unfair advantage. Although, it’s fine Ranvir is flying the flag for GMB at the minute!

Tamsin Greig

We all know and love Tasmin for her portrayal of Jackie Goodman in the Channel 4 sitcom Friday Night Dinner. But who knew she studied at UoB. I’m sure she would be pleased to see all of the Friday Night Dinner inspired post it notes stuck on the windows of UoB halls.

No description available.

The actress graduated with a first in Drama and Theatre Arts from the University of Birmingham back in 1988.

Matthew Goode

The star who has appeared on our screens in Downtown Abbey and The Crown, studied at the university before hitting the bigtime. He graduated in 1998 with a degree in Drama and Theatre Arts.

He then went to study at London’s Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art.

Isaac Hempstead Wright

The 21 year old actor who is best known for his role as Bran Stark in the Game of Thrones didn’t finish his degree at the university.

Game of Thrones' actor Isaac Hempstead Wright who plays Bran Stark was pictured during freshers in Birmingham

He started as a Fresher in 2017, studying Joint Honours Music and Maths, and was pictured living it up in the Duck and Scholar, before dropping out in order to focus on his acting commitments.

Hannah England

The British athlete who specialised in the 800 metres, 1500 metres and mile run also studied in Brum. In 1500 m, she was the 2011 World Championship silver medallist.

Hannah also competed at the 2012 Olympic Games in London and in 2005 she joined the university to study Biochemistry.

Ellie Crisell

Ellie was the former main presenter of children’s news programme Newsround on CBBC and Newsround Extra. She is now a relief presenter for BBC News.

She studied at the University of Birmingham, and then went onto to gain an MA in Broadcast Journalism at London’s City University.

Sandie Okoro

Sandi who is a British lawyer, was appointed  as senior vice-president and general counsel at the World Bank Group in 2016.

She studied Law and Politics at the University of Birmingham.

Jess Phillips MP

Jess Phillips studied a postgraduate in public sector management at the University of Birmingham. She has since served as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Birmingham Yardley since the 2015 general election.

She even put her hat in the ring for leader of the Labour Party in 2020, losing to Sir Keir Starmer.

Tim Curry

Curry rose to fame with his portrayal of Dr. Frank-N-Furter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), he also starred in Annie (1982) as Rooster Hannigan.

Tim starring in the musical Annie

He graduated in 1968 from the University of Birmingham with a combined degree in English and Drama.

Jane Garvey

The British radio presenter, who is a currently on BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour, is an English graduate from the university.

She is also the co-founder of the weekly podcast series Fortunately which was founded in 2017.