Image may contain: Woman, Pants, Female, Skirt, Family, People, Human, Person, Apparel, Clothing

The top five hidden gems of Selly Oak

We know that sometimes it can be a bit smelly, but here are some of the lesser known gems of Selly Oak

Okay, we know that Selly Oak is mainly known for the high crime rates, over turned bins and smashed up cars. But it's our home and we found the secret spots that sometimes slip under the radar.

The Creative Coffee Hub

Image may contain: Pants, Cafeteria, Cafe, Human, Person, Jacket, Coat, Clothing, Apparel, Restaurant, Furniture, Chair

The Creative Coffee Hub on Raddlebarn road

The Creative Coffee Hub in Selly Oak is a great place for a quiet day of studying, coffee date or bite to eat. They offer a calm environment with free wifi so it's a perfect place to get away and get work done. They offer a great chai latte and hummus platter too! With a 4.5 star review on trip advisor it's a great and unknown spot. They also hold regular community classes including a pottery class and knitting group.

The Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park

Image may contain: Vegetation, Plant, Housing, Path, Outdoors, Railing, Brick, Interior Design, Indoors, Building, Animal, Zoo, Person, Human

The Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park near Cannon Hill park

Only a 20 minute walk from the University campus, the Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park is a perfect spot to take family to or for a day out with friends. Although technically not in Selly Oak, it is very close! They offer student tickets for only £5 so it won't break the bank at all but is a great chance to go see some cute and cuddly friends.

Selly Oak Nandos

Little known fact, but Selly Oak actually has it's very own Nandos. It's a bit of a walk up to the top of Selly and is in the new retail park by Sainsbury's but if you're a fan of the restaurant, then it's a fun place to go for a meal. Obviously very cheap and a classic student spot so why not get a group of friends together for a trip?

The Dolphin Fish Bar

Image may contain: Flyer, Brochure, Paper, Poster, Jacket, Advertisement, Jeans, Denim, Coat, Person, Human, Pants, Apparel, Clothing

A personal favourite, the Dolphin chippie

Also on Raddlebarn Road is the Dolphin fish and chip shop. A perfect stop off for a mid-day cone of chips or a trip up the road for a treat with your housemates. Although there isn't any seating inside, it feels like a lovely part of the local community and the servers are always the same and it is nice to see local faces regularly.

Golden City Chinese

Image may contain: Villa, House, Housing, Hotel, Neighborhood, Urban, Building

Golden City Chinese at the end of Dawlish Road

Maybe you've walked past it every day on the way to Uni but have never actually been in, but the Golden City Chinese offers both a great take out and eat in experience. The food is reasonably priced and eating in offers you the choice to feel a bit fancier than just getting a casual take away.