Brum wasn’t my first choice, but I’m so glad to be here

It’s the absolute best

campus choice first hate love selly oak the tab birmingham the tab brum UoB yes

The eighteen year old me went into school to collect A Level results with my dad. I was so nervous about it all, knowing the next few minutes would determine the following three years of my life. Unfortunately, I was informed by my tutor that I didn’t manage to get the necessary grades to get into my first choice, Bristol, to study Law. This was later confirmed by a notification from UCAS and I had to go through clearing instead.

My dad was disappointed and stressed over what I could do next. Frantic phone calls were made to a few universities, Birmingham being one of them, in order to find out if there were still places available. Out of all the universities I phoned, Birmingham and Newcastle both offered me places to study Law. Within a space of 24 hours, I had to decide on which offer I should accept.

In the end we decided on Birmingham, mainly on the basis that I had already lived there for a few years before moving to London, and I was already familiar with the city and campus.

It’s now almost two years on and I can safely say that it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Firstly, let’s admit it, we have the prettiest campus in the entire UK. It just makes life that much easier when you are walking around a spectacularly beautiful location.

Amazing views

I have met the best people here in Birmingham. People I never thought I would meet. I have so many life-long friends due to the welcoming atmosphere that is constantly flowing around campus. I’ve even been able to meet up with my old school friends who I knew from when I was a child.

Brum has provided me with the perfect opportunity of getting involved in an outstanding amount of extra-curricular activities, such as writing for The Tab, promoting at Vodbull and even having my own role as a presenter on Burn FM. I’ve managed to do this with an awesome bunch of people constantly by my side.

Burn with Feng fun

Working for Vodbull in general has been another amazing opportunity for me at uni. Not only do I constantly enjoy going out to my favourite nights at Vodbull and Stuesdays, I also get to meet a lot of new people and make friends on a regular basis. Dressing up as the mascot is always a really cool job too…

My chosen subject of Law has given me chance to experience a few mental socials, from LAWD to Christmas trips, and most recently the Law v Medics night. That was totally insane. Overall, Birmingham is a friendly and welcoming university that accepts people no matter what background they have. So far, over the last two years, I can confidently say it’s been the best time of my life. Learning, partying, developing friendships, presenting and writing for a newspaper, Birmingham University has truly provided me with the ultimate experience.

Hanging out with The Tab crew

Sometimes our university receives hate and people generally feel as though we attend a really crap institution. I’m sorry, this is totally wrong. I look back now and think thank God I didn’t get those grades I needed for Bristol, because I wouldn’t have ended up at such an amazing university that has taught me so many valuable life lessons.

Big up Brum and thank you for everything.