Queen’s University is haunted, apparently

QUB has some chilling tales to tell

With a rich history spanning over 150 years, Queen’s University’s roots stretch back to a time when ghost stories were a popular storytelling method. Today, we absorb these narratives in the form of Hollywood-produced films such as Insidious and The Conjuring, but that’s not to say they don’t exist.

Queen’s University has its share of ghost stories, from its early days up until today. One of the earliest known ghost stories surrounds the Friar’s Bush Graveyard facing the David Keir building.

Friar’s Bush Graveyard

The earliest ghost stories originate here

The graveyard can be found in Stranmillis, behind a plain white wall. The graveyard was built for those early victims of cholera to be buried en masse. Rumour has it that the bulge in the grass is the result of dozens of bodies piled up beneath the earth. Visitors of the graveyard have reported the sensation of hands pulling at their clothes, and feeling the ground squirm beneath their feet.

Urban Legend of the Archway

An urban legend surrounds this archway facing the physics building

There is an urban legend surrounding the archway leading from the physics building to the Peter Froggatt centre. According to the myth, three students were travelling through the university one night after studying late. The courtyard and archways were dark, impossible to see through. One of the students suggested they all hold hands as they came through the archway in order to stay beside one another. But upon coming through the other side, back into the dim glow of the moonlight, they had lost each other. But the feeling of someone – or something – holding their hands never went away.

The Peter Froggatt Centre

Today’s hauntings take place in the Peter Froggatt Centre

This brings us to the urban legends of today. While we know today that graveyards are just resting places and dark archways are little more than a tunnel from one place to another, some of us believe in the rumour surrounding room 006A on the third floor of the Peter Froggatt Centre.

Room 006A, Peter Froggatt Centre

Some of those who study in this room have reported technology malfunctioning when brought into the room, only to work fine again once taken outside. The door to room 006A opens, seemingly of its own volition, even when clicked tightly shut. The lights flicker on and off at random times, and the projector, when turned on, behaves oddly – the screen projected on the board will change channels by itself, slide off to the left or right, or even turn the whole screen blue. Students have also reported that while studying in this room, files and documents malfunction and sometimes do not open at all, and electronic devices such as phones and laptops simply fail basic commands.

Of course, as with all “paranormal” phenomena, the urban legend surrounding room 006A is to be taken with a pinch of salt. It may not be the work of a ghost or curse, but rather, of unfortunate timing and circumstance that leads to technology malfunctioning in a room which coincidentally happens to have a faulty door and a poor lighting system. Then again, it would be a big coincidence.