Queen’s student ‘at risk of suicide’ if identity is revealed

Lawyers of a convicted student appeal for an anonymity order due to mental health deterioration

| UPDATED court lawyers mental health queens suicide

Lawyers of a student convicted of crimes which cannot be divulged due to a court order have requested an anonymity order be enforced on the press.

The request for anonymity comes after the said student’s removal from his course at Queen’s University due to criminal action.

Mr Justice Horner has given temporary restrictions on reporting of the case despite the name of the student being revealed to the press at the time of conviction.

According to his lawyers, CS, as the convicted student is being referred to, has suffered from deterioration of his mental health and has attempted suicide.

His lawyers claim that university was CS’s “last plank that was giving him motivation”.

Although Mr Justice Horner has given temporary restrictions he believes that “there will be open justice unless there are good grounds”.

He has directed a medical expert to establish the severity of the student’s mental health and the potential risk of him committing suicide.

CS’s case has now been adjourned to allow the student to have an appeal hearing at Queen’s.