Ceredigion welcomes first group of Syrian refugees to town

Dozens more families will arrive in the coming weeks

The first group of refugees are “settling in well” after they arrived in Ceredigion from war-torn Syria this month.

The Red Cross is supporting 11 refugees as well as making preparations for more to come over the coming weeks and months.

Ceredigion is one of the first places to welcome refugees, and Councilman Alun Williams said he is “immensely proud” of the town.

He said: “The refugees are fleeing the very same people who attacked Paris and we have a duty to help them.”

Council Leader Cllr Ellen ap Gwynn added: “The refugees have arrived safely in Aberystwyth and are settling well in their new home town.

“Aberystwyth residents have been very welcoming, which I’m sure will be of great comfort to the refugees as they begin to integrate in the community.

“On behalf of the group, I would like to thank them for showing such compassion and generosity.”

Students have also made efforts to ensure the refugees settle into town life as easily as possible.

Aber2Calais society collected clothes donations from the public, while over 50 Arabic-speaking students have volunteered to help the refugees to more comfortably settle into their new lives.

Third year Film and Television student Juilet Blaszczyk said: “I think at the end we are all equal you should help everyone as you would help your own family. Who knows. Everything changes. Maybe one day it will be you and your loved ones who needs help.”