These are your worst interview horror stories

Let the panic begin

Maybe there is something to fear about interviews, and it’s not just sweaty palms.

Every single one of us will have to take part in an interview at some point in our lives, and no matter how many you’ve had the pleasure of experiencing, it’s inevitable to get caught up in pre-interview hysteria. Whether it’s the stress of getting your outfit right, not having time to practice and perfect your handshake (is it too strong? Am I going to break their fingers?), or multiple sleepless nights resulting in eye bags as big as an actual “bag for life”.

Nine times out of 10 the fear is worse than the interview itself. But that doesn’t mean you all haven’t had some interview horrors.

Rachel, 20, Third Year Psychology

Rachel said: “I went for an interview and one of the questions the interviewer asked was did I know this person and would I be happy to work with them in the same environment. He was my ex – awkward was an understatement.”

Ryan, 21, Third Year Psychology

Ryan said: “The worst thing that has ever happened to me is I lied. I told them I had worked at Next, which I didn’t, they then said they were going to ring them for a reference. It was going well up until that point.”

Harry, 19, First Year Sport Science

Fresher Harry said: “I walked into the room and within two minutes the interviewer had called me the wrong name. I just couldn’t bring myself to put him right, I suppose it was doomed from the start.”

Tom, 20, Third Year Countryside Management

Tom said: “I went for an interview at the Sea Life Center, I spent my day there for them to tell me they didn’t even have any vacancies left.”

Izzy, 20, Third Year Zoology

Izzy said: “I had an interview at Monsoon when I was 17. I had worked at Debenham’s cafe before that. The interviewer asked me what I had learnt from working at Debenhams, before I had time to think of a good answer I blurted out I had learnt to chop onions. I then went quiet and couldn’t think of anyway to rectify it, so we both just sat in silence for a while.”

Amy, 21, Third Year English Literature and Creative Writing

Amy said: “When I was 16 I had an interview for my first job at a cafe which loads of old people go to, so naturally the boss asked me whether I was good with elderly people. In my overkeen, excitable manner I proceeded to list the names, ages and whereabouts of all my grandparents and how often I saw them. All three of them. I will never forget the exasperated look on his face as he clearly thought I was a freak. A very hire-able freak though, I ended up working there until I came to uni.”

Grace, 21, Third Year Psychology

Grace said: “I stood up for someone else in a group interview because the interviewer was really obnoxious. I got up and told him I would find my own way out, but I couldn’t so I had to come back and ask.”

Rebecca, 23, Third Year Zoology

Rebecca said: “I once had a practice phone interview to work on my interview technique. It was a series of long awkward pauses and ‘erms’ from the interviewer on the other end. All I learnt was it wasn’t me who needed to work on my interview technique.”

So if you ever come out of an interview feeling like it’s the end of the world, seek some comfort in the fact you’re definitely not the first and certainly will not be the last.