Second years devastated after damp storage facilities destroyed clothes

One girl lost over £300 worth of shoes, clothes and bags

| UPDATED aberystwyth accommodation angry students clothes flooding housing mould private ruined storage students university

A group of outraged second years claim appalling storage facilities ruined over £300 worth of clothes and personal belongings. 

The pals were due to move into their dream student homes in July, but when they found out the two, five bedroom houses wouldn’t be ready on time, they were offered alternative storage facilities.

They accepted the offer and left everything there, but when the time came to collect their things they discovered everything was damp, mouldy and completely destroyed.

The letting agents have denied any wrongdoing.

English student Fahmeda, who was due to move into the house near the centre of town, said: “In June we found out the houses were nowhere near finished.

“They emailed and told us we could have alternative storage but for a price of £2.50 a week.

“Now of course we were like ‘excuse me?’

“They guaranteed us free storage and we questioned this, and in the end they told us it would be for free now as well.”

But their new storage facilities only made matters worse.

Kaja (right) had all her stuff ruined

Everything was damp and mouldy

Fahmeda, 19, added: “When we got to the new storage place we found out it was actually an old gym locker room.

“It was pretty grimy but at least we had somewhere to store our belongings, but then they turned around and demanded £10 from us each.

“We managed to haggle it down to five each, but we were still annoyed.”

When they later found out their houses wouldn’t be ready until September 12, the group decided to pull out of their contract and find alternative accommodation.

They were given 48 hours to remove their belongings from storage, or they’d be charged £10 a day.

Stuff is completely ruined

Some items were damaged and broken

Fahmeda drove from Oxford to collect her stuff, but when she got there her and her housemate Kaja noticed most of their possessions were moudly and some things were missing.

They returned the next day and were charged £20 each.

Fahmeda said: “Kaja and I noticed our things appeared to be tampered with and bags seemed to have been ripped opened.

“It was massively convenient our things weren’t there one day then they were the next day when we returned.

“It was almost like they hid some things so we would have to come again and pay.”

The guys wanted two five bedroom houses

Kaja Grabinska, a second year Law student, told The Tab her entire wardrobe was irreparably damaged and she holds the estate agents who organised the alternative storage responsible.

She said: “I lost at least £300 worth of stuff that I’ll never get back.

“I’m really angry they show no remorse and it was their responsibility.”

A spokesperson for the letting agents told The Tab: “In June 2014 it was clear the new build properties that were due to be finished the following month were in no such condition, and there was going to be an inevitable delay in their completion.

“We contacted all prospective tenants to advise them of the delay, to invite them to be accommodated elsewhere at no cost over the summer months and, where appropriate, to provide storage facilities with effect from July 1.

“The only charge made for storage was for the period before the intended term was due to commence.

“We were not aware of any damp problem in the temporary storage facilities where personal effects were stored in May 2014 and of course those storage facilities were inspected by all of the prospective tenants before they left their personal effects there.

“We are not aware of any other complaints concerning the condition of the personal effects when they were removed from the temporary facility.”