J-Lo and P Diddy relationship

Inside J-Lo and P Diddy’s relationship and how it may have ended her marriage to Ben Affleck

The couple were arrested following a shooting at the start of their relationship

J-Lo and P Diddy’s relationship was an iconic moment for Hollywood. The two musical mammoths were truly in their prime when they struck up a relationship at the end of the 90s.

A lot happened in their relatively short romance, some things that could have contributed to her latest divorce from Ben Affleck.

So from a New York shooting to THAT green Versace dress, here’s a look at J-Lo and P Diddy’s relationship.

They met whilst making a music video

More than two decades ago, when Jennifer Lopez, or J-Lo, as she was known back then, was an up and coming artist, she met producer, P Diddy.

Diddy had just broken up with his long-term on-off girlfriend, Kim Porter, when he sparked up a relationship with the singer. They met in 1999 after Diddy was pegged to work with Jennifer on the music video for her song, If You Had My Love.

From here on, their relationship blossomed and they were considered a Hollywood “it couple” at the turn of the millennium.

A shooting led to them both being arrested

via NYPD

In 1999, the couple were involved in a shooting at a New York nightclub which ended up in them both being arrested. And, whilst J-Lo’s charges were dropped, Diddy went to trial for bribery and gun possession, but was later acquitted.

There was THAT Versace dress moment

J-Lo and P Diddy's relationship

BY: Paul Smith / Featureflash

They famously attended the 2000 Grammy’s together, in which J-Lo wore her iconic low cut, green, tropical Versace dress but just one year later, the couple would split.

In 2017, when P Diddy was asked about the ground-breaking fashion moment, he told ET: “We were just stepping up our game as far as what we were wearing and how we were gonna use fashion. …I thought it was gonna really change the game.”

After two years, J-Lo and P Diddy’s relationship was done

via Instagram

After the shooting their relationship became rocky, and on Valentine’s Day 2001, they decided to call it quits for good.

A statement made to ABC by Diddy’s publicist said: “Mr. Combs confirmed that he and his love, Jennifer Lopez, have, in fact, broken up.

“He wanted to put all the rumours surrounding their relationship to rest. At this difficult time, we ask that you respect his privacy.”

And whilst a cause was never given for the split, Diddy’s alleged infidelity was pegged to be the reason, as well as lingering feelings for his on-off girlfriend, Kim Porter.

During an interview with Rolling Stone, J-Lo explained her and her ex had different ways of thinking, saying that whilst Diddy “loves to go out”, she’s more of a “homebody”.

So, how did P Diddy allegedly contribute to J-Lo’s latest divorce?

via Instagram

After J-Lo and P Diddy’s relationship ended, she moved on with Ben Affleck. The pair soon got engaged before calling it quits in 2004, just days before their wedding. However, to the world’s surprise, the couple reunited in 2021, getting married one year later.

But it wasn’t meant to be with J-Lo and Ben, who divorced this year, and with the former citing “irreconcilable differences” as the reason for their split.

However, sources say there may be more to the story, with Newsnation reporting that Ben was allegedly given tapes seized by the FBI which featured J-Lo.

In his podcast, former record executive and convicted felon Suge Knight claims the FBI may have confiscated tapes from Diddy’s home during a raid, some of which feature Jennifer.

Talking about J-Lo’s involvement in the 1999 New York shooting, he said: “They go raid Puffy’s house, and they get all these videos of J-Lo doing this and J-Lo doing that.”

He then alleged that Ben was now in possession of the tapes in question and the information presented on them is one of the reasons for their split.

Knight said: “I’m quite sure they [FBI] probably called.

“It’s a white man who got respect in the white world. I’m quite sure they said, ‘We want to show you some things about your wife.’”

Jennifer Lopez’s representatives have been contacted but have not yet responded.

Featured image via Paul Smith/Featureflash